Sunday, November 20, 2011

Hello on Sunday

Dear Friends,

Our Saturday went as planned. Besides me visiting dear old dad in the nursing home, I was Linda's Crafts Fair buddy. Since Linda didn't have any friends to go with, the guilt was too strong for me to say "No". We went off to three Crafts Fairs before I announced "Drop me off at home because I am all Crafts Faired out!" I must admit that I saw multiple friends to chat with at every crafts fair, but I felt like I was working the crowds trying gather support for some political office which I was running for. At least some of the Crafts Fairs had some man chairs so I could rest my weary legs at times. The foods at these crafts fairs were wonderful. The Lutheran Church served a great lunch time corn chowder. One of parishioner's brought in fresh corn from her garden to the kitchen staff as the base for their homemade soup. The soup was spectacular. They were actually selling quarts of soup at the Lutheran Crafts Fair. I can see the Curley's making a corn chowder in the Crock Pot soon. I think that Linda is hosting the next Tuesday's Mah Jongg Session. Corn Chowder might be on the menu.

We had fun last night before and during the Comedy Show. If our friends from Atlanta were with us, they would have enjoyed dinner at Flavor's (Malaysian style food), and the Comedy Show at the Crowne Plaza. The three comedians were great, and we laughed until our sides ached. Linda and I and our friends would go again in a heart beat. The next one takes place on March 10, 2011 which will present a real conflict. There are two other events on that same night. UNICO is preparing a meal for an Italian Serenade night at the ITAM. There is also an Irish Night at Sacred Heart Church on Elm Street in Pittsfield. I want to attend all three events, but I haven't figured out how I can do so.

I am up early because I have a lot of things on my mind. My crafts fair buddy and I are heading of to a Crafts Fair at the Catholic Elementary School which I graduated from in Lee, Massachusetts. I hope that I didn't have the wrong date for the Church Crafts Fair.

I didn't see anything on the political front that was worth noting. The word is that the Super Committee might not complete that task that they were assigned to. Oh Darn!
I was also wondering where the Occupy people were going for Thanksgiving? To give you an idea who some of these Occupy people really are, the New York Daily News focused in a 31 year old Florida woman who abandoned her husband, and two children to participate in the Occupy New York event. The reporter found that this woman had a male tent mate, but she claimed that her and her new tent mate were only pals. Yeah Right! This lady must have been bored with her husband and motherhood! I think that she is a real nutcase!

I also woke up at a pretty early time because Linda and I have baking on our minds. Linda has the urge to make her favorite Thanksgiving delights. She was scouring through her 100's of recipes as I was napping on Saturday afternoon. Even though there are a lot of football games on today, my Patriots are on Monday Night Football. Since we have a television in the kitchen, we can bake and I can at least listen to a couple of games. Linda does have to communicate with the host of Thanksgiving Day dinner, our daughter-in-law, because we don't want to bring duplicates of food items. The current generation has a tendency to let the supermarkets do the dessert cooking, but we baby boomers like to make some of the epicurean delights ourselves.

We are still on schedule to depart for Tewksbury on Tuesday morning. I am still psyched for Thanksgiving Day dinner. As mentioned before, we will be departing the day after Thanksgiving because we have to be home on Saturday for the 30th Anniversay Celebration of the opening of The Purple Plume in Lenox. The 5 to 7 PM party takes place at the women's specialty shop. There will be appetizers and beverages that someone has to consume. That someone would be me (and Linda). The event is open to the public. Of course we have a social conflict. There is a Habitat for Humanity Music Concert at the Methodist Church (7 PM) in Pittsfield which we have attended before. We could show up a little late for this event, or we could walk about 50 paces to the Heritage Tavern continue on with The Purple Plume celebration. The Curley's always seem to have these "approach / approach" conflicts (a term that I learned in those mandatory Psychology courses that we had to take in College).

Our military son in Valdosta, Georgia is experiencing what his wife experienced those many months when he was not home because he was on a tour of duty in Afghanistan. Danielle is off to a multi day conference related to work that she was doing for the Air Force when she was in the military. The task of taking care of an almost 4 year old girl, and energizer bunny like one year old male is not an easy job when you are the only parent. We baby boomers "have been there done that!"

On a lighter note, I didn't realize that there were 124 little people in the original Wizard of Oz movie. This past week, one of the three remaining little people passed away. I believe that he was 92 years old.

Since I used the word "little people", you see that I used the politically correct description of what we used to call a midget. This politically correct way of doing things now has even filtered down into our preschools. The headliner comedian pointed out that we can't say to the preschoolers to "sit down in an Indian position". I was wondering if some of the more persons on my daily blog know what the teachers say now to get the preschoolers to sit on the floor, and cross their legs. As I have said in the past, I like to learn something new every day that I am on this earth. Well, I learned something new at the Comedy show last evening as the comedian was talking about his own family.

I also realized that much of the material of the headliner comedian was right from his family experiences. When I talk about the sometimes strange happenings as Linda and I interact on a daily basis, I would have a wealth of material for a comedy act. Maybe I should give "stand up comedy" a try. After living with a woman for over forty years, I have an endless supply of material for a comedy act. Linda might want to stay home as I picked on her if I was doing my own comedy show.

Have a great Sunday!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: