Sunday, November 27, 2011

Hello on Sunday

Dear Friends,

Today is another one of those days that will go from early morning temperatures in the 30’s to 60 degrees for the high of the day. It is difficult to believe that December is right around the corner, and we haven’t had to take out heavy winter gear. People keep on talking about not getting too complacent with these mild temperatures, but there has been a steady pattern of a few cool days followed by warmer weather. We had that October snow storm, but it has been pretty mild every since that storm.
I am a believer of Global warming affecting our weather, but many of my friends do not agree. These nonbelievers still use the words cyclical when referring to the weather. Tell that to the Polar Bears!

Black Friday update – The sales on Black Friday hit sales records. On-line purchases surged by 24 %. The experts are expecting the cyber Monday will be a record breaker too. They did say that televisions were what the people purchased the most on Black Friday. Linda and I are part of this fact because we purchased three televisions. When we eventually replace all our old clunkers television sets with flat screen ones, the problem is what am I going to do with the disposal of the clunkers. A friend said that Best Buy would give you $10 gift card per television if you bring them to their store. I will be bringing in four old television sets if that offer is true at our local Best Buy. If I take them to Good Will, I have to pay $25 per television to get rid of our relatively small sets. For bigger televisions, you pay $75 per set. Our recycling plant will not take any televisions at all.

I had hoped that Black Friday would be incident free. In the Berkshires it was, but not nationwide. The Pepper Spray person did turn herself into authorities in California. Some person was shot to death in a Black Friday incident.
Where are people getting the funds to do so much shopping on Black Friday? I thought that we were in an economic downturn!

My Man Cave has been returned to its pristine state. Good thing that Linda helped out because I was using incorrect cleaning chemicals on several items in the Cave. Also, women have this innate ability to see dust and clutter that we men seem to ignore. I decided to put some plastic table cloths (which I purchased at the Dollar Store) on serving tables and a coffee table. I was trying to create the Red, White, and Blue colors of the New England Patriots. Linda asked me why my color scheme was Red, White, and Purple. I am the one who purchased the table cloths. My color blind eyes thought that I was purchasing a blue tablecloth. I should have asked the clerk what colors that I was purchasing which I often do, but not this time. I was convinced that I was purchasing a blue table cloth. Can you visualize me doing clothes shopping for myself, or loved ones? If I wanted to replace my wardrobe, I have to take Linda with me. As Linda always says; “Dealing with me is like with a child (at times)!” Good thing that I have such an understanding wife? I almost get the feeling that when two people decide that they want to be a couple, they probably should have a checklist of some possible deficiencies that either partner might have. Of course, Linda has no deficiencies whatsoever!

Speaking of purple, the 30th Anniversary of The Purple Plume being in business went well last evening. Linda and I remained there until a little after 8 PM. The appetizers were great. The White wine, Red Wine, and Prosecco (Italian Champagne) was flowing freely. Judie Culver’s mom and some other Worcester relatives made the 1.5 hour trek to the Berkshires to join in the celebration. There was a good deal of people whom we know at the celebration. Actually, every where we go we run into people that we know.

After cleaning the Man Cave for half of a day, I needed an afternoon nap. I am up so early today that I will need another one today. This morning, I also have to go off and visit with my dad in the nursing home and bring him his favorite Sunday newspaper.

Sports – I was able to catch the third period of the Boston Bruins Hockey game when we arrived home from The Purple Plume. I did ask Linda if she wanted to party on at another establishment, but she said that she was tired from helping me with the Man Cave cleaning. While I was napping yesterday, she went off to the grocery store. She worked her magic with the store coupons, but she came home a bit exhausted.

The New England Patriots play a nationally televised 4:15 PM game today. Since my Man Cave is ready to have guests, I might not be watching the game alone. One of the couples who will not be coming is having a family Turkey Dinner. It is a going away party for their two daughters; one who will be going back to college in Boston, and the other daughter will heading out West to college in Montana. The male of the family is a New York Giant’s fan so the Patriots don’t excite him.

Fresh Turkeys at Stop and Shop are now $.68 per pound. The price was reduced because of the expiration date on the Turkeys. We stopped at the nearest Stop and Shop on the way home from the Purple Plume Party. We were looking for one in the 10 pound range. They only had the 24 pound plus ones. I don’t think that we need one that large for just Linda and me.

The NBA is back in business. Christmas Day there will be a triple headed. The Boston Celtics will be part of that triple header. They play the New York Knicks in Madison Square Garden.

I did set up one of the three televisions which we purchased on Black Friday. We now have a 19 inch flat screened television in the kitchen. What a difference compared to the 9 inch one which we had there. The only problem is that we can’t open the large wooden bread box. Maybe this is a sign that we should lower our bread intake.

Speaking of white bread, I disposed of the two dead mice in the garage, and re-baited those two traps with more white bread. Some of the 5 other mouse traps had the bread missing, but no mice caught in them. I had to refill those mouse traps.
I still laugh at a friend who lives in the other end of the state who prefers using those “Have a Heart” mouse traps. She would capture the mice, and take them out and release them in her back yard. The same mice ended up back in her house, and back in her traps. For the mice, they probably treated the situation like a game. They knew where there was a warm home and food. The lady had a cat, but I think that her cat was afraid of the mice.

Well, I have set up two televisions today. Monday is supposed to be pleasant day weather wise. I will take care of putting up the outdoor Christmas Decorations. I imagine that Linda might be working on the Christmas decorations inside the house. She did say for a second time that she is going to do a limited version of Christmas decorating. Yeah Right!

Have a great Sunday!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: