Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St. Patrick's Day

Dear Friends,

Over the past few days, the Curley's have had much trouble figuring out which day of the week it really is. I thought yesterday was Saturday, but it was Friday.

Yesterday was a three event day. My head hit the pillow a little after midnight, but Linda stayed up a little longer. Since we have been celebrating St. Patrick's Day starting on March 1, 2012, I am beginning to realize why the confusion has set in.

Last evening went very well starting off with the Irish American Club of Berkshire County's Corned Beef and Cabbage Dinner at the Elks Club. The corned beef at this dinner was the best so far except for the crock pot corned beef dinner that the Curley's prepare.

I also found out that my Irish Soda Bread might not be number one when we have the Irish Soda Bread Contest at the Pittsfield Ethnic Fair in August. The treasurer of the the Irish American Club provided the Soda Bread at last evening's function. He uses the light and dark colored raisins and caraway seeds in his soda bread. My soda breads have less stuff in it, and sometimes "less is more." I think that he uses a recipe that was passed on to him by is mother. His soda bread last evening was moist which sometimes is not always the case as I have observed and tasted on other occasions.

I did forget to mention that event at the Elks also honors the Irish Person of the year. This person is paraded around the banquet hall lead by a person playing the bagpipes and accompanied by the Irish American Club President. The winner was Bill Godfrey who was one of the original founders of the Irish American Club. The Club is 50 years old!

We left the dinner and headed off to the Colonial Theater. The band playing there was called Danu. They had everyone in the theater clapping their hands, and singing along with several songs. Everyone left theater feeling like they got their money's worth from this very entertaining band.

The night didn't end after the concert. A bunch of us headed off to the Sideline Saloon. One of our Irish Sister City friend's is related to the owner. How could the Curley's say "No"? As the clock struck midnight, we called it a night.

Well there is no rest for the weary once again this evening! We have another three event evening! We begin with a 4 PM Mass at Sacred Heart for deceased members of the Irish American Club. Our second event is a corned beef and cabbage dinner at the nearby Italian American Club on Newell Street at 6:30 PM. Yes, you heard that correctly! The Italian version of corned beef and cabbage also includes chicken and pasta. Our third event, is a house party at our Irish Sister City President's home which starts around 8 PM. Oops! I almost forgot that we might stop at Patrick's Pub after the Italian American Club because an Irish Sister member and his band are playing there.
I think that Linda and I might need a day of rest on Sunday! We have a 2 PM meeting, but it is not related to any Irish activity.

The corned beef dinners continues next week, but it will take place at the Curley's. Our two little Tewksbury cherubs and their mom will be with us on Tuesday and Wednesday before they depart on Thursday at some point. We continue with our busy life style again next week, but there aren't any 3 or 4 functions per night days.

Well, I don't have time to think about politics or any local news. I have to bake my last bunch of Irish Soda Breads until the Ethnic Fair or until I get any special requests for making loaves for loved ones or close friends.

I also should stop in and see how my dad is doing at my sister's home. I am hoping that that the sickness which I saw the other day has decreased.

Have a great St. Patrick's Day!
Do you think that I might take an afternoon nap so that I can make it through all the events on our social calendar?

Talk to you soon! The Curley Lad

No comments: