Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hello on Thursday

Dear Friends,

Today is one of those days that Linda and I would just like to put on a set of comfortable clothes like sweatpants and sweat shirts, and look out the sliding glass doors onto the deck and watch the snow fall and the birds attacking the sun flower seeds which I put out for them. Most of the schools in Berkshire County are closed too.
Well, this is not going to happen today.

My sister and I are getting dad out of the nursing home today. The discharge time is 1:30 PM. I am hoping that my sister can get dad up my sister's steep driveway.

After my sister and I get dad settled, the day won't end for the Curley's. Tonight we are going off to the Shamrock Restaurant & Pub for supper with a friend at 6 PM before we head off to the WolfTones Concert at the Wahconah Country Club. We are hoping that the roads will be better by the time the concert starts which normally is around the 8 PM hour.

The Irish American Club of Berkshire County is sponsoring the concert, and they are hoping for a good turnout at least enough concert goers to pay for the band. This is one of those days where paying at the door would have been a good option because of the not so nice weather, but we have already paid for the tickets ($25 per ticket).

Can you believe that a sister ship of the one which ran aground in Italy had to be towed to port? They lost power which means a lot of bad things happened on the ship like no food, sanitation, air conditioning, etc. Did some evil spirit put a curse on this cruise line?

I have already skimmed the local newspaper. It would appear that there are some dumb things that people do in each State including our Liberal State. In a city called Methuen, the school sent home a list of the food which will served in the school cafeteria for a particular week. One of the lunch menu items listed was as "KKK Chicken Tenders." Do you think that the creator of the menu has a problem with African American people? Oops! I made a political incorrect statement. African Americans now want to be called "Blacks".

The violence continues in Syria. I am wondering when we will be invited to help out?

The investigation into the burning of the Muslim Bibles in Afghanistan is ongoing, and the violent protests have not stopped. The American military should get out of Afghanistan should do so as soon as possible.

I was the only one who left the house yesterday. I visited dad in the nursing home. I didn't have to go to his room. He was in the lobby of the nursing home in his wheel chair. I think he knew very well that he will be departing the nursing home.

After the visit, I came home to replenish the bird feeders. The snow started falling as soon as I filled up the last bird feeder. I have do it all over again today because the birds were eating the seeds on Wednesday like it was their last meal.

The weather guys says that we should pick up 3 to 6 more inches of snow before the storm ends this evening. We have 5 inches already, and I know that because I had to put on my boots to get my newspaper. My newspaper is put on the front step right outside the main door to our house. The wind blew the newspaper off the step, and I found it in the bushes. I ended up with snow all over my pajamas, and the sweatshirt that I was wearing.
So far, no one has cranked up their snow blowers. Linda is sound asleep so there is no way that I am going to start mine.

Linda whipped up a wonderful crock pot soup for supper last evening. It was one of those clean out the freezer and vegetable bin days. We will have some soup for lunch today before I go off to help dad move from the nursing home to my sister's home.

I finished savoring a book yesterday and started another one. The newest book is a James Paterson one. The murder and mayhem has already started in the first couple chapters of this book which is the way I like it.

Linda spent most of day and evening knitting and watching her favorite programs. We wish that we could have a repeat of yesterday.

For our friends who read the Berkshire Eagle online for free, this appears to be coming to an end soon. They have a two week special where you can read the Berkshire Eagle online. After that, you will have to pay a fee for reading the newspaper on line. Many newspapers have already done this, but we are a little slow in the Berkshires.

Well, I better get to some quiet tasks one of which is too find the container of raisins, and find a plastic container to put them in along with some Irish Whiskey. I am just about ready to start making some Irish Soda Breads. The raisins need to spend a couple days swimming in the whiskey before I put them in the Irish Soda Breads. The Whiskey rehydrates the raisins and adds flavor to the breads. The alcohol is burned off in the baking process. No, I am not giving away my secret recipe form the Irish Soda Bread!

Have a great day!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: