Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Hello on Tuesday

Dear Friends,

It definitely was a spring day in the Berkshire on Monday. I should have been out in the yard doing work, but we retirees have a tendency to procrastinate which is what I did.

I finished savoring a book, and weaved in an afternoon nap before heading off to a UNICO Board meeting. The board meeting lasted over an hour and one half. We had a lot to discuss. Also I have to add some event to the Curley Social calendar. The volunteering never ends.

One of those volunteer events will betaking place at the Heritage Tavern in Lenox on March 15, 2012, Thursday evening. This is our Annual Celebrity Bartending night where we UNICAN'S act as bartenders. All the tips go directly to UNICO which will go right back into the community. I think that our own Berkshire grown David Grover will be our guest musician for the evening. I will be part of the first 45 minute shift with two other close friends of mine. The Curley's will be going early for some food, fun, and merriment and Keno before our shift starts around 6 PM. If any of the people on my blog are local, you are welcome to join us. We are planning to be there at 5 PM.

CNN News -- Besides the residual affect of an Army Sergeant going rogue and killing innocent Afghan Villagers, the news wasn't that exciting.
One item that did jump out at me was that the consumption of too much Red Meat decreases a person's longevity.

I was just thinking of doing a crock pot of corned beef before I left the house this morning. I was going to put in the carrots, potatoes, and cabbage in the same crock pot for ease of cooking. I don't have any cabbage in the house right now, but I could cook that separately just before supper time.

I stop writing this email, and loaded up the crock pot with a corned beef and vegetables except the cabbage which I will do separately.

This evening we were supposed to have an Irish sister City Committee meeting, but we Irish folk have been meeting so much at social events that there didn't seem to be a need to have a meeting.

On the local seen, there was an article about burning permits being available right now. You are allowed to burn brush, but no stumps or leaves. You can start the fire 75 feet from your house. At the 75 feet mark is the Curley storage shed, and the neighbor fences. You are supposed to have a garden hose available while burning. You are not supposed to leave the fire unattended. Can you visualize me starting a fire in the back yard? The neighbor houses are all around us. I could possibly set the whole neighborhood on fire.
In Pittsfield, we have our trashed picked up. Years ago, as a cost cutting measure, we lost the two times a year pickup of yard waste. I can wait to read about the damage to structures that these brush burning fires will be causing. The good thing is that we have an excellent fire department which might have hoses a little bigger than a garden hose.

Unbelievable sports story -- In Springfield, Massachusetts, which is an hour east of Pittsfield, an irate father punched a coach and bit off portion of his ear (which had to be surgically repaired). This all happened while the 5th and 6th grade basketball teams were shaking hands at the end of the CYC game. The 34 year old dad was arrested on felony charges. I guess this father didn't realize that these are just children who are supposed to be having fun while being good sports too.

Social calendar -- Linda has her Tuesday Mah Jongg session from 11:30 AM until a little after 4 PM. I am doing some things for dad at the family home in Lee, paying some bills, picking up mail, etc. I am leaving for Lee pretty soon. The Gas Company wants to install a new gas meter.

Speaking of dad, he is doing quite well at my sister's home. He keeps on telling my sister that he is ready to return to the family home in Lee. My sister has to remind him that he is not that self sufficient to do so right now, but things are heading in a positive direction!

Linda gave me a haircut yesterday. We could have done it outside so that the birds could use the cut hair for their nests, but Linda was still in her sleepwear when she decided that my hair needed to be cut. She does an excellent job cutting my hair even though the scissors were dull due to me trying to sharpen them with one of my devices. I should have read the directions on how to sharpen scissors before I threw them out. Oh Darn!

We will be having another nice day temperature wise, but some thunder and lightening are a possibility too.

Have a great day at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: