Saturday, March 3, 2012

Hello on Saturday

Dear Friends,

Hope that all of my readers had a pleasant Friday like the Curley's did.
Linda never left the house, but she was busy puttering around the house before settling down to listen to the WUPE Radio Auction. She purchased more restaurant certificates for our favorite places that we like to eat and party at. She has another day doing the same thing starting at 9 AM until all the auction items are gone. We sometimes give the certificates away as gifts for friend's birthdays, anniversaries, etc.

We decided to not go out last night. After my 5:30 PM meeting, we ordered a couple of pizzas from a place up the street, and I picked them up. I say a couple of pizzas because we like to heat up leftover pizza as a lunch time snack. The pizza place is located in Greeridge Plaza and it is called Pazzo's. Actually, the plaza has changed hands, and the new owners are cousins of the Mazzeo family. This guy owns very successful Hair and Spa salon on Tyler street. The convenient store has had a makeover, and the deli now has an Italian flair to it. Linda bought a sub for her sandwich, which she took to her Tuesday Mah Jonng session, and she said it was very good. Certain night's they sell pasta until it is gone. Since the place is a mile from our home, we will most likely be frequent customers.

Speaking of food, I wore a green dress shirt to the WolfTones concert the other light. Linda said "Oh brother" because she knew that I could not get through a meal without spilling food on my shirt. She was right! I got this grease stain on this shirt in no time at all. She has tried two or three times to get the grease stain out of the shirt. I just checked the shirt out and there is a very tiny stain left in the shirt. I purchased this shirt at the Annual Irish Festival at the Saratoga fairgrounds a couple of years ago. It looks like I will have to purchase another one this year. Oh Darn!
I am going to take a bib with me this evening because I will be wearing the same shirt. I really don't care how funny I look.
Last night as a matter of fact, the first piece pizza slipped out of my hands hit my sweater and landed on my cargo pants. I was wearing all black clothes.
Can you imagine what I would look like if I was the one in a nursing home?

I also did forget to mention that I saw a friend that I went to Catholic Elementary school in Lee when we were growing up. When it came to high school, he traveled each day to Pittsfield to go to St. Joseph's High School. I went to Lee High School. I haven't seen this guy for over 30 years. We chatted briefly before the concert started. I said that we have 4 grandchild, and that life is good. He said that he had 17 grandchildren by way of two marriages. He like me became teachers. I believe he started his career in Vermont, but he spent the last 14 years in New York State. He ended his career as a superintendent. Since Vermont doesn't pay it teachers that much, and pennons therefore are lower, he said that he wished that he spent his whole career teaching in the New York State public school system. I wish that I had more time to chat with him because I would remind him of a party that we had at his home years ago when his parents were out of town. Someone at the party tossed a lighted cigarette off what they thought was in the bushes in front of the house. Well, the cigarette landed in a smelly sneaker on the porch. The cigarette caught the sneaker on fire, and was about to catch the porch on fire. Someone started to smell burning rubber, and put the fire out.

We only have one thing on our social calendar today, and that is the Polish Falcon's corned beef and cabbage dinner this evening. This is actually a fundraiser I think for the Jimmy Fund. For $15 , you get a meal and free entertainment. The Irish Band Rakish Paddy will be playing Irish tunes for we guests all night long. Linda and I are part of two reserved tables. There will be much food, fun, and merriment before this night is over.

On a sad note, I read the obituaries in the local newspaper, and the elderly man in the obituary was a father-in-law to three of my UNICO brothers. The wake is on Sunday from 2 to 5 PM and it appears that the Curley's will be attending the wake. The man spent the last day of his life at the same nursing home that my dad was at. I would see the daughters stopping in at the nursing home to visit their dad. I asked one the daughter's the other day, how her dad was doing, and she told me that her father was not doing well. The 88 year old man died of cancer.

Today, I am going to stop at my sister's home to visit dad. I didn't get a report on how day one went with my dad now staying at my sister's home. I learned on Facebook that my father was playing swords with one of his great grandchildren. This sure beats being around the people in a nursing home just waiting for the Good Lord to take them.

I skimmed the local newspaper, and it was full of the not so nice things that are happening locally and in the world. The front page article which disturbed me the most was the arraignment of the guy who will be going to jail for being a drunk driver who killed a 24 year old woman in a car accident. The woman just graduated from Yale in May. This was the fifth DUI offense for this 35 year old Connecticut driver. The Southern Berkshire town, where the girl got killed, borders Connecticut.

Well, I have to do some quiet activities before Linda wakes up.
Have a great day.
The temperatures should approach 50 degrees today before a cold front moves in.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: