Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Hello on Tuesday

Dear Friends,

Our Monday went pretty well, but I was out of the house most of the day dealing with dad issues. I will be at it again today as I open the family home in Lee at 1:30 PM so that two motorized chairs can be disassembled and brought to my sister's home in Pittsfield. Technicians from where dad purchased the chairs will be doing this work.

The home inspection at my sister's home went well on Monday. The two therapists, my sister and I, and dad arrived at my sister's home at 11 AM. Getting dad from the car to the upper level of my sister's home went pretty well. The therapist told Marie exactly what needs to be done in her home to make it safe for dad since he is a fall risk. After we took dad back to the nursing home, I did have time to weave in an afternoon nap before going back to the nursing home. At 3:30 PM, the therapist showed my sister and me what to do when helping dad climbing stairs. Since my sister spent 23 years of her life working in the hospital, she already knew what to do.
Dad's discharge date from the nursing home is March 1, 2012 at 1:30 PM.

While I was doing my thing, Linda was writing out bills. It was good that I wasn't around to bug her.

She had to prepare an appetizer for her meeting. Her meeting was a fun one where the ladies at the gathering were discussing details of their annual Cape Cod trip which takes place toward the end of June.

My UNICO golf committee meeting lasted about an hour, but it wasn't exactly what I would call fun.

Of course, we are in a winter storm watch / warning for the next few days. I am watching the local news right now, and the weathermen are all excited because they have something to talk about. I might even get a chance to use my snow blower. I really want to use the snow blower because I had to have it serviced a month ago. The weather guy whom I am watching is saying 5 inches for us in Pittsfield. Whatever snow does fall, will melt on Saturday because we will be back into the 50's. The weird winter continues!

Ohio School Shooting -- I want to know all the details of the family life of shooter who is an alternative school student. From the bits and pieces of various reports, grandparents have been taking care of the shooter. I want to know more about the 17 year old boy's parents. I always claim that as the family unit has deteriorated over the years, then so does society! Many of the troubled youths in our schools and in society in general happen to come from screwed up families. If you don't believe it, try teaching high school for more than 30 years like than Curley's have done.

Luckily we didn't have any shootings, but we did have a homemade bomb of metal parts and nials set off in a trash can in my school. This incident was toward the end of my teaching career. I think that the target of the bomb was the Principal of our school because the trash can was in the back of the school where the Principal would stand as the students got off of the school buses or out of the cars which they drove to school.

My radio talk show host, who is on my daily blog, can tell you even more stories about troubled youths (and adults) since he met many of them in the penal systems which he worked at throughout the United States as well as in foreign countries.

This Ohio tradgety wasn't the only incident in our schools yesterday. A seventh grader whipped out a loaded hand gun while in a lunch line because another student made a disparaging comment about another female student.

People keep on asking Linda and me if we miss teaching. What do you think?

Sports -- I didn't have any Boston teams engaged in any contests last evening so I decided to read a book while watching the Daytona 500. I couldn't last until 1 AM when the winner crossed the finish line. I stopped watching the race when a car crashed into the Jet Engine drying vehicle, and it caught fire. The fuel from the track drying vehicle coated the track, and it caught fire too. It was like watching a movie as they fire was put out and the track was repaired. No one was killed which was the only positive.

Speaking of sports, the weather channel has a video which they have been showing of a car which fell through the ice where a bunch of ice-fisherman had their cars and truck parked side by side. Instead of catching fish, a wrecker had to catch a car which had fallen through the ice. When a vehicle gets submerged in water, can you imagine what the water does to the electronic systems which all the vehicles have in them nowadays?

I met a relative, who is a couple years older than me, in the nursing home who was visiting his mother-in-law. I must say that I am never at a loss for words, but this relative could talk your ear off in no time at all. My grandmother Mary Curley (my Dad's mother), and my cousin's mother were sisters both of whom were born in Northern Italy.
At one point, we were chatting in the lobby of the nursing home, and my cousin knew every person who entered and left the nursing home. He struck up a conversation with all of them. I said to myself that my cousin is just like my 88 year old father. They can tell you who lived in what house in the Pittsfield neighborhood that they grew up in. My dad and my cousin could tell you almost every classmate that they had going back to Saint Charles Catholic elementary school. I wonder if I have the "gift"?

On the local scene, the female robber who has been holding up Convenient Stores while armed and masked, has finally been caught on video. Someone who watches this video has to recognize the voice of this woman. All of Pittsfield is waiting for this woman to be caught. The court system better show her no mercy when the Police catch this woman!

Social Calendar -- Linda has her normal Tuesday Mah Jongg session at a friend's home in Lenox. I have the dad stuff to deal with.

I have a crock pot brewing with comfort food. It is a beef pot roast with all the fixings. It should be wonderful by supper time.

Have a great day at work or school!

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: