Monday, February 20, 2012

Hello on Monday

Dear Friends,

Happy President's Day!

Our Sunday went as planned. I did wake Linda up at 7 AM in Tewksbury even though she was in a deep sleep. We snuck out of Kevin and Kyla’s home on Sunday around 7:30 AM while the rest of the house was fast asleep. I am guessing that when Max woke up he started looking for his Nana and Papa. Oh Darn!
We had enough time to unpack and to take a shower before we headed off to the Jack & Jill Baby Shower. I kept on saying that the Baby shower started at noon, but we were an hour late. The guests were still in the serving line when we arrived at noon. We found a couple empty seats at a table of strangers, but it didn’t take long for the Curley’s to blend right in. I had some of the 7 children in my Math classes at Taconic who belong to this very nice couple who were at our table. The other couple was just as nice, and the husband was a Vietnam veteran. The nice thing about these couples was that they were Democrats which meant you were talking with like minded people.

The buffet style food was wonderful. There was much food, fun, and merriment which took place in this packed Polish Falcon Hall. There were so many gifts that the “Mother to Be” didn’t open the presents at the shower. If she did open them, all of us men would have proceeded to go downstairs into the Members’ Bar. On the other hand, Linda would have loved to have watched her open the 40+ gifts. Linda loves being invited to all kinds of showers. After people left the hall, we both went into the members’ bar for about 30 minutes for more socialization while family friends filled cars and trucks, and brought the gifts to the home of the Mother to Be. I was trying to figure out where they were going to put all the gifts when they arrived home.

I should be at Retro Fitness right now, but I decided to get my exercise and fresh air on Pontoosuc Lake today. I am going to do a little ice-fishing and commune with nature. It is supposed to be a day of total sunshine which means I could get a nice suntan. I will bring a portable radio and listen to my talk show host friend from 10 AM until 1 PM while waiting for the fish to bite. Since I am fishing on Pontoosuc Lake, I will use steel leader line and hooks because if I catch a Northern Pike, they can cut monofilament line very easily with their sharp teeth. Even if I don’t catch a single fish, I should get a great tan. My plan right now is to leave the house at 6:45 AM because the bait shop doesn’t open until 7 AM.

Linda will love the fact that I won’t be around for several hours especially since she has nothing on her social calendar for today. I am the only one socially engaged today. I have a UNICO Membership Meeting and Dinner at Jimmy’s Restaurant today at 6 PM.

Sports – LinSanity continued with respect to the New York Knicks. The newly discovered super hero who has been sitting on the Knick’s bench for most of the season was an integral part of yesterday’s win. Jeremy Lin is starting to realize that fame has some negatives. People are starting to bug his parents!

The Boston Celtics and the Boston Bruins both lost their games.

Instead of watching the Boston sporting contests, I bonded with Linda for several hours watching many police related recorded programs. When Linda decided that she had enough of the cop programs, she turned on Survivor, and I went to bed. Both of us were exhausted, but Linda has this ability to survive without taking a nap. My body just shuts down. As I think about it, I did forget to mention that we went from the Baby Shower to the grocery store. I tried to talk Linda into dropping me off so I could take a nap while she did the grocery shopping. She said absolutely not! She said that when she shops when I am napping, there is no fun getting the groceries, loading up the car, and unloading the groceries from the car, and putting them away while I am sleeping my life away. I told her that I like shopping at 7 AM because the stores are empty, and the check out lines have no one in them. Of course, 7 AM is Linda’s prime time for sleeping. Are we on different schedules or what?

I am watching the news on television as I type this email. A former Berkshire County resident is a big time Sheriff in Arizona who has been fighting the war against the people crossing the border from Mexico into the United States. He is making National news because he is running for a political office, and he had to announce that he is gay. Some issue has surfaced from a disgruntled boyfriend. I hope that the fact that this true American is gay person doesn’t affect the way for him to do his job or to get elected if he chooses to run for a political office.
During the baby shower while we were socializing with our new found friends, I brought up the fact that Governor Christie vetoed the gay marriage bill in his State. Everyone at our table agreed gay marriage and that a person being gay should have no affect on how we treat one another. “Live and Let Live” has been my philosophy of life.

Well, I have to pack some peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and some fruit, and water for my ice-fishing adventure.

Have a great day at work or play!

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: