Monday, January 31, 2011

Hello on Monday Morning

Dear Friends,

I am so happy that I don't have to watch my every word in my daily blog with respect to me not giving away a surprise retirement / birthday party for one of my email recipients. There were a total of 34 friends and relatives at the surprise party at Patrick's Pub last evening. The guest of honor and his wife arrived at 5:30 PM. The guest of honor thought that he was going out for some prize winning wings with his daughter and her husband. He soon found out that it was more than just two couples. The guest speaker was his brother-in-law who told some stories, and presented a bunch of gag gifts. Various people who grew up with Steve told some funny stories too.
Linda and I haven't know Steve and Marilyn as long as most people at the party, but we do socialize with them the most right now. One of the best told stories of the evening was work related. Steve's daughter Diana works for the government, and is learning / doing what Steve has been doing for years. At work they were doing some remodeling, and changing name plates on the doors to some offices. One of the workers noticed that he was putting up the name of another Gerardi. The worker also noticed that this female looked very young. As the worker was putting up Steve's nameplate, he asked if this good looking woman was related. The worker asked Steve if she was his "granddaughter." For my readers who have no clue what Diana looks like visualize a woman in her mid 20's, who would be carded every time she orders a drink in a bar. Visualize a woman who could be an undercover cop in one anyone of our high schools throughout the nation.
The selection of food from the appetizers through dessert were wonderful. We were in our own private room which could hold a maximum of 50 people.

Linda and I were so happy to meet the person at the party who our friend found on eharmony.com. She seems like a very nice and fun loving person. I hope that our friend doesn't let this one get away.

Sports - I saw bits and pieces of the Celtics vs Lakers game. I was so happy when I saw that the Celtics beat the Lakers on their home court.

We are in another storm watch for Tuesday into Wednesday. At some point we will get a wintry mix, but we might get a whole bunch of snow before any changeover happens.
The weather reports say that this storm is a two part one which is going to last for 36 hours.
I see another snow day on the horizon for our local schools. Linda and I are so happy that we aren't teaching anymore. Our students will be going to school until the Fourth of July. Some States have decided to give up their spring break to make up for their snow days. This sounds like no big deal, but people plan family vacations for those spring breaks. They often have to purchase flights, and make hotel reservations a year or two in advance. Teachers can't take time off to go on vacation because they will not be paid.

I have a twice postponed doctor's appointment as then snow starts to fall on Tuesday morning.

It looks like our son and his family in Kansas are getting some of the white stuff right now, and that storm is heading our way.

I am not sure if Kevin got the belt repaired on his small snowblower. If they get more wet snow in Boston, his snow blower can't handle it. I know that purchasing a heavy duty snow blower is a large investment, but it might be time for him to check them out. If he chooses not to purchase one this season, he could get a good buy as winter ends. When I was in Home Depot the other day, I saw people who never owned a snow blower grilling the person in charge of that department.

Social Calendar -- I believe that I am the only one who has a commitment today. The Gormalley Lad and I will be on a Radio Talk show program (1340 AM on the local radio dial) at 10 AM discussing up coming Irish Events. I have to schedule another day to talk about some upcoming Italian events.

One or both of us have a commitment for everyday or evening for the rest of the week. Some events might be cancelled because of the impending storm.
I think that our crock pot will get a workout this week.

I see where the Nile River Cruises have been cancelled for a while in Egypt. The situation in Egypt reminds me when many years ago the people in Iran ousted the Shah of Iran. I can see where the average Egyptian might be tired of a leader who has been in office for over 30 years.
I am thinking that the protesters might win this one.
Luckily our Presidents have term limits. Just trying to make it through four years is quite a challenge for any of our Presidents.

While perusing USA Today before starting this e-mail, I saw that there was an article about SAD (Seasonal Affected Disorder). If you feeling a little blue about the wintry weather, then they have a disorder for you. I suppose that there might be another pill which can help you manage this problem. How about the affected person getting off the couch, and getting out doors, and embracing winter. A little fresh air, and getting some occasional sun might help out with the winter blues.
I am convinced that some people like going to doctor's and being told that they have some physical or mental disorder.
Note - My comments don't refer to people who are battling cancer, and other life threatening physical conditions.

I was also thinking about the current Taco Bell wars about "Where is the beef?". If more people stopped feeding their families by way of these fast food places and made healthy meals, we wouldn't even be reading about these wars. Have you also noticed that these fast food places have been targeting persons of color and young people? It is like the cigarette industry which gets people hooked on their product when they are young, and then they have them for life. As these people get older and their bodies start breaking down, then the healthcare system gets involved.

Well, I have to get dressed, and go off to Dunkin Donuts, and get a flavored coffee, and a couple of donuts. Not!
Have a great week at work or play.
Talk you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: