Friday, July 22, 2011

Hello on Friday

Dear Friends,

The throngs of residents and tourists did come out to the downtown Pittsfield Third Thursday event. Our Irish Sister City booth was hopping after a slow start. The event started at 5 PM, but when we looked north and south at that time, the streets were deserted except for vendors. We thought that the oppressive heat was going to keep everyone away. Well, as the time approached 6 PM, the streets became alive. There was some form of music every few blocks from one another including an Irish Band at our booth called "Dublin Porter".

I was wearing my boot last night. I brought a chair so that I could get off of my feet. A new member, who is good at working a grill, and who is also ServSafe Certified, allowed me to do more supervising than working.
We did have one technical problem from an electrical standpoint. The musician's electrical equipment, two electric griddles to cook the Irish Bangers, and the air conditioner in the store where we plugged into the outlets couldn't handle all the devices. The circuit breaker kept on switching off. Luckily, the taking care of details kind of guy that I am, had guessed that we might have electrical problems. I just happened to pack my propane "Grill to Go". We shut down one griddle, and the air conditioner, and we were able to cook the bangers.

One of Neville Brothers who lives in New Orleans, who has a summer home in the Berkshires, was on another stage. Most people came to the Third Thursday to listen to Liam Geddes belt out tune after tune. Liam, who is 19 years old, is from our Irish Sister City in Ballina, Ireland. Some of the Irish Sister City Committee Members took turns working our booth, and going to hear him sing.
After the Third Thursday ended, and we packed up our gear, a bunch of us walked over to Spice for a little reception for Liam. A local band called Xavier was playing in the room where the reception was being held. Liam sang a couple of songs while the band was taking a break.
Despite the heat, the evening turned out great for Linda and me.

Liam has two CD's out now which can be purchased at Pasko Gift and Frame.

The potential Politicians were out in force getting their nomination papers signed. Linda and I signed four or five for sure. I started to lose count!

While chatting with a lot of people throughout the evening, I found out more of our baby boomer friends have developed all kinds of life threat illnesses. I can't go into details because of privacy issues, but I get kind of leery when I ask people; "How are you doing?" It seems that all of my sayings really turn out to be true --> "Life is a crapshoot", "Life is too short", "Enjoy every moment that you are on this earth because you never know what each day will bring", "Don't sweat the little stuff", and most of all tell you family members that you love them. Also surround yourself with a network of good friends so that if disaster strikes, you have someone to comfort you besides you family.

Politics -- The budget battle continues as the August deadline is just around the corner. Our President doesn't like the Republican proposal. Compromise on certain issues doesn't look like it will happen in the near future.

Weather -- We are in for another day of heat and humidity before the weather changes. Today is supposed to be the opening day for the Saratoga Horse Race Track season. There was some rumor of track association postponing the start. I wouldn't want to be a race horse with the current heat and humidity. I would think that the PETA organization would begin protesting at the track.

Social Calendar -- We are socially engaged this evening!

Well, I have to clean the grease laden grill that we used last night. It is one quiet, but messy task.
Have a great weekend, and pray for some relief from the heat.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: