Monday, July 25, 2011

Hello on Monday

Dear Friends,

It was another quiet and calm day for the Curley's on Sunday. The heat and humidity really creates an atmosphere of procrastination when it comes to doing outside chores and activities.
After reading the Sunday newspapers, Linda decided that it was time to see a chick flick. Knowing that my motivation level would be low, she called a girlfriend, and they went to an afternoon show at the Beacon Cinema. I decided to call the woman's husband, and asked if he wanted to join me in a Chicken Novena while the wives were at the movies. We watched the Red Sox and golf while I cooked a bunch of chicken leg quarters on the grill along with all the fixings for supper. Our wives went out to supper as my friend and I partied in the screened in room on the deck.

Both the Red Sox and Yankees won their respective games so the Sox are maintaining a three game lead over the Yankees.

The wacko home grown terrorist from Norway who caused so much death and destruction over the weekend didn't like all the foreigners which now make up Norway. The purity of the race certainly has Hitler like overtones. Good thing that this guy didn't live in the United States. If this guy didn't like diversity of races and different cultures, we in the United States would be in a whole lot of trouble.

I see where the militants in Afghanistan kidnapped and hung an 8 year old boy whose father was policeman. The Afghan policeman refused to supply the militants with police cars so that the bad guys could do their dirty work.

Politics -- The Budget crisis still is in Limbo. The August deadline is a week or so away. The World is watching and waiting for the Americans to do the right thing. Stocks opened lower in Japan already because of a lack of the American budget. Oh Darn!

Social Calendar -- A 7 AM Therapy session and a 6 PM meeting is the only thing on my social calendar today. I am going to give our lawn a trim at some point today too.
Even though Linda doesn't have anything on her social calendar, we will be deciding what we will be bringing to the "Steely Dan" Concert at Tanglewood on Tuesday evening. Our goal is to pack light with respect to food and beverages, but that usually never happens. My Physical Therapist made fun of me the other day when I said that we were going to the Steely Dan Concert. He said that the band was ancient even though he like the Curley's has vinyl records of the band. Our local newspapers had pictures of three of the band members, and they did look like they were quite mature. Let us hope that they haven't lost their voices as well as their youth.

July certainly has been flying by. I am so glad that we are not still teaching. Many schools throughout the nation will be heading back to school starting around the 15th of August. We in Massachusetts still use Labor Day as our back to school guide. Teachers usually have to go to school before Labor Day. Some districts have their students reporting to school before the Labor Day weekend arrives.

I have been retired for 7 years now, and I don't miss teaching at all. I am in the retirement phase of my life when I often don't know what day of the week it is. It is like having a clock or a non digital wrist watch with the hands of the clock missing.
I count my lucky stars because during those 7 years I have been attending a lot of wakes and funerals for my baby boomer friends. Other baby boomer friends are currently fighting life threatening illnesses like breast cancer, colon cancer, prostate cancer, heart problems, lung and kidney disease, Alzheimer's, etc. I didn't want to retire, and die a couple years after retirement like several of my teacher colleagues have done.

On a happier note, "Life is Good" is still my motto even though there are a few minor bumps along the road which I will have to overcome.

Have a great week at work or play!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: