Thursday, July 7, 2011

Hello on Thursday

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned in the Curley world. Linda accomplished her four (really five) things that she had on her busy schedule.

The Computer guy came to our house like the regular doctors used to do and made our lap run like a top after he got rid of some multiple mini viruses.
Our computer problems gave our guy a challenge, and he had to stay an extra hour before he solved the problem. The guy was enjoying the challenge, and he learned something new even though he has been doing computer stuff for over 30 years. If you are trying to visualize what the guy looks like, I would say that he is in his early 50’s and he is in relatively good shape. I didn’t ask him, but he was like the kid in school who didn’t play sports, but got on his computer when he got home from school. His parents probably had to tell him to shut off the lights and go to bed when he was in his teenage years.
He charges a very reasonable fee for his efforts. I took some of his business cards, and said that I would give them to friends who are experiencing problems with their PC. He doesn’t do Mac computer.
One thing he did say is that our computers are like our cars. Cars need some routine maintenance / tune-ups and so do our computers.

The fifth thing that Linda did was to go for a few groceries after her Panera Bread Knitting gathering. She has been my chauffeur for the past week or so unless I take off my boot and drive myself. She decided to take one of my driving tips. The tip backfired last night. I suggested that when I go to a grocery store, to park the car in the “Go Position” so you go forward instead of backing up. Well, she tried that last night and it didn’t work. She comes out of the grocery with a semi cart full of groceries while it was raining. She couldn’t into the back of the car. A big honker of a truck parked so close to the back of the Kia that she couldn’t open the hatchback. She had to put the groceries on the back seat of the car. So much for my helpful hints!

I did accomplish my tasks and had a chicken novena for supper. I grilled some leg quarters while watching the Red Sox. My neighbor saw me sitting in the screened in room on our deck so came to do a little socializing and to have a couple of beverages. He actually came over our house to pay for our Friday Picnic in the Park at the baseball park which will include fireworks. I offered to share the chicken, but he and his family had already eaten. His wife and daughter went off to do little bonding and recreational shopping. I did tell him that when he sees me in the screened in room on the deck that he is welcome to join me. At least last night, I wasn’t having a party on the deck by myself. I did have to put down a few blinds for a little while as the thunderstorms rolled in, but all in all we had a fun time solving all the problems of the world, and watching the Red Sox win.
He did admit that he likes to start the day by reading my words of wisdom.

A few of my friends, one of whom owns a boat, attended the Wednesday “Live on the Lake” concert at Onota Lake. The thunderstorms put a damper on their party.

I see where a person was killed by a grizzly bear in Yellowstone National Park. Bears are not like those cuddly little creatures that we had on our beds when we were children.

The State of Florida wants Casey Anthony to pay for the three years worth of services provided by the prosecution in their losing effort to convict her of killing her child. I don’t know how the State can recover these funds from her!

Social Calendar – Linda has a routine eye appointment, and I have my first physical therapy session today at noon. Tonight we are going off to a picnic at the home of an Irish Sister City friend. There will be much food, fun, and merriment before this party is over.

Observation – I started thinking about the budget wrangling which is taking place in Congress. The Republicans are standing by their wealthy friends, and don’t want them to pay higher taxes because they make more money. I sort of take their side because I wouldn’t want my hard earned dollars going to all those social programs for people who don’t want to work, but who just live off our taxes. On the other hand, I am not happy for those companies who pay no taxes, and use the guise of research and development, and providing jobs for the average worker. I would let them pay reduced taxes if they can prove to me that they are doing those things, and not just paying their executives huge salaries. They want their cake and to eat it too while the rest of us pay for the cake!

I have to end this email and get cooking. We are bringing a three bean concoction to the picnic this evening. My job is to cook the bacon, sauté onions and ground beef which will go in the bean dish. Now this is a quiet activity, but could you sleep through the good smell which will be wafting through our house in about five minutes? My friend who was with me last night said that he tried to make this recipe, but it never comes out as good as Linda’s. Every good cook tweaks a recipe, and puts in their own ingredients which make their dish special. Sometimes the cooks don’t want to give away those secrets.

Have a great Thursday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: