Saturday, July 30, 2011

Hello on Saturday

Dear Friends,

Our Westerly, Rhode Island Beach adventure ended after we had breakfast on Friday. The skies were cloudy, the heat and humidity started rolling in, and we packed up and headed home. The forecasters predicted thunder storms, and scattered showers, but we left before they ever arrived.
We arrived back in Pittsfield in time for me to squeeze in a nap. I unpacked half of the car when we arrived home and the other half after I awoke from my nap.

For supper, we headed off to the Shamrock Restaurant & Pub. We sat at the bar, and played Keno, and socialized with some former students as well as with some total strangers. We sat next to one couple who happen to live on our street. We haven't socialized with this couple since they got married 5 years ago. The wife was a former student of mine who manages an optician's office, and the husband has been a UPS driver for 29 years. The husband's dad was a print shop teacher at my school when I first started teaching in the late 60's / early 70's. The conversation flowed so nicely that eventually we got a table and dinned together. As we left the restaurant, we promised to socialize more often, or at least have a cookout together. It turned out to be such an unplanned pleasant evening.

Sports -- The Red Sox and Yankees both lost their respective games. The major talk in New England has not been about baseball, but the newest acquisitions of the New England Patriots' football team.

I did see where Tiger Woods will be playing in a couple of tournaments after overcoming some physical disabilities. I know he will be a bit rusty when he returns to the professional tour. I do hope that he can keep his head in the game after all that he has gone through even though his fall from fame was his own fault.

Social Calendar -- Linda wants to be left alone today, and do things at her own pace. She does have plans to head off to Lenox for their weekend festivities, but I will not be accompanying her. She has already lined up some girlfriends to go with.
I have a whole bunch of yard work to take care of. The weeds are starting to out number the flowers. I am going to give our lawn a trim too. I also should go to Lee and visit with dear old dad, and see what chores need to be done at his home.

I normally would be playing golf on this day. There is a Pethitory Memorial Tournament in Adams, Massachusetts for a soldier who lost his life several years ago in combat. The profits go to scholarships for student graduating from the same high school that the soldier graduated from.
My leg issue was the stumbling block.

Speaking of my leg, it has not healed completely. There were times at the beach when my leg was bothering me, and I wore the boot. My strained Achilles feels good when I first wake up, but then it sometimes starts to ache as the day progresses. Oh Darn!

Politics -- The deadline is approaching as the budget wrangling still goes on. The Stock Market didn't like the "lack of budget" news, and took some severe hits this week.

Well, I have to do some quiet activities before the Queen wakes up. I hope that her friends don't call before 10 AM. Linda seemed so exhausted after our 2.5 day beach adventure that I think that she can sleep to almost noon.

Have a great weekend.
The weather today is supposed to be picture perfect.
Get out there and enjoy it!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: