Friday, September 9, 2011

Hello on Friday

Dear Friends,

I was back wearing the boot on Thursday. My Achilles strain is a little better today, but I can still feel it enough that I can't go bootless. I also kept on telling the Orthopedics guy that I haven't been doing anything unusual these past few days, but I realized after I left the Doctor's office that this wasn't true. I went to a friend's home and emptied 7 or so buckets of water from this friend's basement (on more than one occasion). All the twisting and turning that I had to do as well as connecting and disconnecting hoses (one which goes out a window, and then water is pumped out that cellar window) when the buckets, electrical wires to the wet vacuum as I moved it around three rooms in their basement, etc., most likely caused the pain which I was experiencing on Thursday morning. Well, I am going back to their basement this morning for hopefully the last time since we have no major rains in the forecast for over a week. I will be extremely careful during the wet vacuuming process today.

I sat on my butt for most of the day on Thursday, and read a book on the Ipad. I had all intentions of going to an afternoon wake of a friend whose 91 year old dad passed away, but yesterday I was physically unable to perform (PUP) as the football world says when a player is on the disabled list.

Speaking of football, I watched a good portion of the game last night on NBC. The Greenbay Packers look like they could do a repeat as Super Bowl Champions this coming season.
I also watched the hapless Red Sox, who had another chance to pick up a game on the Yankees who lost their game, but it was not to be for the declining Red Sox. There is nothing for us Red Sox fans to cheer about over these past few weeks. Oh Darn!

Politics -- Before I watched any sports last evening, I did listen to the Presidential speech given to Congress and the Nation. President Obama's speech and his plan of action were superb through this Liberal Democrat's eyes. I did see many of the Republicans squirm in their seats when the President made the comment of the rich paying their fair share with respect to taxes. If his plan is signed into law, a lot of good things could happen to help turn around our ailing economy. I like the part of us producing goods that are stamped "Made in America". Has the President been reading "The Curley Lad's" daily blogs? Didn't I make reference to that in a few e-mails ago? He also talked about fixing roads and bridges and fixing our infrastructure in general. Didn't I also say something about that in some emails the other day? Could I help out with the President's speech writing?

Social Calendar -- Today appears to be free one which is good. I need to stay off my feet for a couple of days so that I can put away the boot. I do have to give our lush lawn a trim at some point today. I will take an afternoon nap too. When I say we are free sometimes Linda weaves in a body maintenance procedure. Actually, before this weekend is over, I need Linda to cut my hair and trim my mustache. My hair is starting to be out of control. I get a hint of that when I start scaring little kids when I come in contact with them in grocery stores, Target, Walmart, etc.

Observation -- As I was putting on my boot yesterday during the mid morning, I got to thinking about some of our friends who have significant others or close friends to help them get through some difficult times. We have two friends currently who are in the recovery / physical therapy stages of rotator cuff surgery. Both admit that they couldn't go through what they are going through without this special person (s). Neither can drive a car. One friend had surgery in Boston (and follow up appointments), and the other in Pittsfield. They both have physical therapy in Pittsfield at the same place that I go to. They both need someone to take them back and forth to therapy. They both need help putting on clothes, help with bathing, etc. The significant others pick up prescriptions. How about making meals and eating them? Did you every try and do that with one arm? I still think back when I had quadriceps tendon surgery in January of 2006. I was stuck in bed for several days before I could move around or manage a set of stairs in our Colonial Style home. Linda climbed those stairs, and brought me meals as if I was in the hospital. She was so exhausted dealing with me I think that she was ready to put me in a nursing home. I couldn't drive for months so who do you think ended up being my chauffeur? My whole point is that I hope that all of us who have gone through things like some of us have experienced really appreciate what the other person did to get us through those difficult times. I for one certainly do!


Have a great weekend!
If you live in area like the Berkshires who hasn't seen the sun for days, get out an enjoy it.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: