Friday, September 23, 2011

Hello on Friday

Dear Friends,

The Pot Roast dinner prepared in the crock pot and the light rye bread made in my bread machine went very well. If you are thinking that we should have invited some friends to join us; the meat was a two per size one with enough for one leftover meal.

On my friend's daily radio talk show, they often talk about student dress codes since Pittsfield High School is located on a main road where the public can drive by and observe what the student's are wearing. Yes, there is a school dress code and administrators have to enforce the dress code when they see someone dressed inappropriately. When we were still teaching, the vice principles had sweat shirts, and sweat pants available to put over clothes deemed inappropriate.

I was skimming over the CNN news online this morning, and I saw where the owner of an electrical contracting business in Utah is being sued by the female employees because he created his own dress code: "Trudy Nycole Anderson has accused her former employer Derek Wright of sexual harassment, including attempting to enforce a dress code that included “miniskirt Mondays,” “tube top Tuesdays,” “wet T-shirt Wednesdays,” “no bra Thursdays,” and “bikini top Fridays.” (Apparently, his alliterative skills tapered off as the week went on.)" I would bet all the male employees never missed a day of work.
Did this guy really think that he could get away with this stuff in this day and age?

Speaking of news, sometimes I am afraid to look at the first two pages of our local newspaper. There is so much death and destruction happening around the world on a daily basis and it comes in all forms. I look at the world and politics through "Rose Colored Glasses", but I might have to invest in a new pair of glasses.

I sent an email to my daughter-in-law yesterday trying to pick up her spirits while her husband is off in Afghanistan. During this past year our son has not been home for almost 6 months (at various times) because of military obligations. The children really miss their father while Danielle is trying to raise the two children on her own. I could feel her pain in the email. Danielle's spirits will be picked up for a few days because her parents arrived from Minnesota yesterday.
Linda and I will be there in mid October for a week. Our visit will be when the whole family will be there because Mike's tour of duty will hopefully be over just before we arrive.
In the past few e-mails I have talked about our son being in a war zone, but there is a lot of stress on the home front too.

I am watching the weather forecast on the television in the kitchen as I create this email. The front that has bringing us off and on rain is not moving. This is why there is a chance of rain for everyday of the weekend, and going into next week. It won't be a cold rain, but Linda and I will still have to pack rain gear for our fun filled weekend. Oh Darn!

A friend sent me an e-mail of all the bad stuff which is going on in Mexico: the killing of Mexican politicians, Mexican police chiefs, wars between the drug cartels, mass killings, stuff going on at the American borders, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the United States is called upon to give a helping hand (military support) to this country which is in severe turmoil. While all this bad stuff is happening, the tourist business is booming in Mexico with great deals going on as I type this email. The same thing is happening in Brazil. You can party in Rio, but the nearby slums are war zones. Maybe if we Americans stop traveling to countries in turmoil, the political and human rights positions would change. I don't want to send American dollars to solve the problems in these countries because it never ends up going to the right places.

If you have large portfolio, and you were going to access it yesterday, the stock market drop put a large "hit" on your wealth. Oh Darn!

Social Calendar -- Linda was supposed to go to a matinee with some Mah Jongg girlfriends today. The movie that they wanted to see is not on the matinee schedule, so the ladies won't be going to movies.
Linda and I might be going off to see the new Brad Pitt movie which has a matinee time slot. The Brad Pitt movie got rave reviews, but I am not sure if Linda will like it as much as I do. On the other hand, if I ask her if she wants to go to a movie, she is like a little kid and gets so excited. She could go to the movies everyday of the week if she knew someone who likes them as much as she does.

Well, I have to get to some quiet activities before the Queen wakes up.

Have a great weekend!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: