Saturday, September 10, 2011

Hello on Saturday

Dear Friends,

We had a pleasant day on Friday. I left the house first, and went to the home of our Dalton friends, and wet vacuumed their basement once again. I extracted 11 wet vac buckets of water before I left their home. The water was still coming in as I left their home. I am getting the feeling that I am a human sump pump. I am so hoping that when I stop in there this morning that the amount of water is less than what I encountered yesterday.
This task might be good exercise for me, but it isn't helping my Achilles problem. At 2:30 AM I had to pop a few Ibuprophen to lessen a dull ache.

I never did give the lawn a trim on Friday. I am going to give the lawn a trim when the grass dries, and Linda promised that she will give my hair a trim today at some point today.
Before I attack the lawn, I have to trim some chestnut tree branches (which whack me in the head), and rake up the many chestnuts which are on the ground. The blades on my riding lawn mower have been taking a beating when I don't pick up the chestnuts first. When I get my riding lawnmower tuned up when the mowing season ends, I have to have the blades sharpened.

The reason that I never touched the lawn was that Linda and I went off to see the movie "Contagion." We enjoyed the movie, but if you are a germ phobic than you better skip this movie.

We ended up at the Shamrock last evening. We played Keno and socialized for a couple hours before we sat down to eat. Linda won $25 plus a few $2.50 wins if you get two out of the three numbers which we usually play. When we walked in the place, the bar was empty, and the place was quiet. Linda sat next to a white hair lady who told Linda that her husband died 6 years ago. We didn't have a great deal of conversation with her, but she seemed like a really nice person. At one point she started humming / singing for no apparent reason at all. We were so happy when the bartender brought her food while she was sitting at the bar because she stopped singing.

While at the Shamrock, we got to chatting with the wife of the owner who does a little bit of everything dinning room and bar area while her husband is in the kitchen cooking food. She said that it must be a full moon because of a noon time incident which she told us about. Two ladies were seated, and just about ready to be served when another lady walked in, and goes directly to the two seated women. This woman tells the two ladies that they were in her favorite seat, and that 4 more people will be joining her. The original two ladies gave up their seat without any argument, and moved to another table. What would you do if this incident happed to you? Would you move, or would you just stay seated?

We are socially engaged this evening. We got invited to a late afternoon / evening cookout. We were asked to bring an appetizer. I can't wait.

Politics -- Even my conservative friends liked the President's action plan when he addressed the Nation on Thursday evening. Our local newspaper did show a picture of a Republican holding a sigh during the Presidential address which said "Drilling = Jobs". I would have added the word "Pollution". What really got me most was that I think signs like this are inappropriate at a Presidential address. When you are at a sporting contest, or at a political rally, signs are okay with me, but not when the President is addressing Congress.

Sports -- The Red Sox and Yankees are both in a losing streak. It doesn't appear right now that the Red Sox will win their division. Oh Darn!

Cell Phone Charger -- I left my cell phone charger in Tewksbury while baby sitting last week. Kyla FedEx's it, and it arrived as we were heading off to the movies. Life without a working cell phone in this day and age is almost impossible to deal with.

Well, I have to do some quiet activities. Actually there aren't any quiet activities that I can do unless I am out of the house. Linda has bionic ears, and she can hear my every footstep around the house. She can even hear me typing this e-mail.
Since I left the house to do the wet vacuuming at 7:30 AM on Friday, she went into a deep sleep until the telephone rang at 9:30 AM. I won't say which friend called, but Linda woke right up from a deep sleep. Oh Darn!

Have a great Saturday!
It was so nice to see the sunshine yesterday even though we gave up a couple hours of it to attend the matinee.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: