Friday, December 9, 2011

Hello on Friday

Dear Friends,



Another day went as planned in Curleyworld, but my body is aching right now from being on my feet from 12:30 PM until about 7:30 PM when the Pasta Fundraiser was over.

My car is loaded with UNICO supplies that we didn’t use that I have to return to our storage space this morning before I head off to my two sessions of Therapy. I have to bring Dad his favorite newspaper at the nursing home before I return home.



When I arrive home, I have to select an appropriate wardrobe for the Gala which we are attending tonight at the Seven Hills Resort in Lenox. I would like to be able to squeeze in an afternoon nap which I wasn’t able to do yesterday. We are meeting another couple at 6 PM.



The Pasta Fundraiser went well last evening even though it started off slow. At 6 PM the only people in the main hall at the ITAM were the hockey players for which the benefit was for. A little after 6 PM, the hall filled up with close to 200 people. We just about made it through serving that many people after we were told to expect 150 guests. If any of the workers wanted a meatball, there were none left when we shut down the kitchen. The white and red pastas were gone too. One lady got in line around 7 PM, and was really upset because there was no food left in the buffet line. Oh Darn!



I did leave the fundraiser and headed toward Patrick’s Pub, but I never went in. If I found a parking place in front of the Pub, I would have parked my car and gone in to listen to a band and party with my Irish Sister City Friends. I didn’t have the energy to park the car a little ways from the Pub, and walk to the PUB because my legs were going into shut down mode. I did catch a couple periods of the Boston Bruins losing their second game in a row. I think that I should have gone into the Pub.



Linda arrived home from her Book Club dinner meeting at a friend’s house a little after 9 PM, but I was too tired to communicate with her, so I went to bed and watched the last period of the game.



Sports – Another baseball player has entered the ranks of the super rich. Albert Pujols signed a baseball contract worth about $250 million dollars. The age of the player is supposedly 32 years old, and the contract is for 10 years. I used the word supposedly because people like David Ortiz from the Red Sox, who was born in the Dominican Republic, said that players from his country often could have a two or three year discrepancy in their actual age. The baseball players might be a few years older than they really are. Also, it is sad to say that when athletes reach the age of 35, their careers are on the downside. A 35 year old athlete can’t compete like he could when he was in his mid 20’s. Albert signed with the Angels which meant he will be on a team which will be playing against the Red Sox. We here in the Northeast will see if Albert is worth the money which they threw at him to leave his previous team.



It is a balmy 24 degrees here in the Berkshires right now. We are going to warm up into the 40’s before the temperature drop into the 20’s once again this evening. A friend’s sister is visiting her in the Berkshires. When the snow fell yesterday, and the cool wind was blowing for most of the day on Thursday, this woman was longing for her home in Florida. She longed to wear her summer weight clothes, and see the palm trees on her property. She was longing to sit by her pool and have a margarita instead of drinking a “Hot Toddy” while visiting in the Berkshires. This lady grew up in the Berkshires fighting the snow and the cold, but now she wants to live in warmth. She doesn’t want to go into a closet and dig out winter jackets, gloves, scarves, hats, and boots. Oh Darn!



We told the owners of the Shamrock Restaurant and Pub last Friday that we wouldn’t be there tonight. The Friday night bar flies will miss us for sure!



I was thinking about Christmas Cards since a few have been trickling into our house the past few days. At a cost of almost 50 cents each to send a card, some friends send an email saying that they are not going to send Christmas Cards, and they will donate the money saved to their favorite charity. I sent out 80 cards plus last year which meant that is about a $40 dollars cost in stamps. Maybe I should reconsider sending out cards this year. Could the people who said that they were going to contribute to their favorite charity instead of sending cards out, please send me a copy of the receipt of the charity which they sent their donation to? Yeah Right!



Well, I am going to read the newspaper, and then go in to the garage; sort the stuff in my car, and determine which supplies are mine, and which belong to UNICO.



Have a great weekend!



Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: