Sunday, December 18, 2011

Hello on Sunday

Dear Friends,



We had a quiet day on Saturday. I did make two batches of meatballs; some for Christmas Parties, and some for personal use. Linda did some errands after we attended the Italian American Club members’ party. The food at this event was spectacular, and it was a “diet buster” for sure. We arrived a little late, and they hadn’t even served any of the buffet line food. The hall was packed, and we sat at the last available table furthest from the buffet line. Since there were so many people, they called individual tables to come to the double sided buffet line. Our table was the third one to be called. We gorged ourselves so that we didn’t have any desire to make or go out for supper.

Linda decided to drop me off at home while she did some errands, and I made a half batch of smaller meatballs which could be used for a Swedish Meatball dish. I had the Boston Bruins game on while I was working in the kitchen. The Bruins win yesterday afternoon propelled them into first place in the Eastern Division.



Once Linda came home from some of her errands, and I finished my meatball making, we decided to stay home for a change, and we spent the evening together. We watched some previous recorded cop and lawyer type shows instead of me heading to my Man Cave to watch some sporting contests. I lasted until 11 PM before my napless body was ready to call it a night.



Speaking of my Man Cave, a Mall in our country created a Man’s Den so that husbands, and male significant others have a refuge to go to when shopping. For our small Berkshire Mall located in Lanesboro, the Bennigans’ bar is good enough for me.



Our son Kevin called last night, and gave us more information about the Boston Globe article which will NOT be in Sunday’s newspaper. He said that the Globe sent a crew to take pictures of Kevin and Dough East Boston. The article, hopefully with pictures, will be featured in the Wednesday Boston Globe in an article called “Cheep Eats”. If you don’t purchase the Boston Globe, you can find the article this Wednesday on the computer if you go to the Bostonglobe.com website. I will be at Palmer’s Variety this coming Wednesday to purchase multiple copies of the Boston Globe.

The good news for Dough East Boston doesn’t end there. Kevin’s partner was off to a restaurant last night with his wife, and he saw Billy Costa. Billy Costa has a weekly Boston based television program called “T.V. Diner”. He goes around the Northeast region and evaluates restaurants and diners. If Kevin and his partner are lucky enough, Dough East Boston might be featured on one of their shows. Kevin’s partner went up to Billy Costa, and told him about Dough East Boston. Billy Costa said that he and his crew might do a whole article on restaurants in East Boston which they haven’t done for a while. Do you realize how much that this free advertising is worth, and how it could help such a small operation like Dough East Boston? Dough has already been featured on the Phantom Gourmet program a couple of years ago. Every time they do a rebroadcast of the Phantom Gourmet program that Kevin was on, the telephone in the restaurant never stops ringing.

Like I said before in previous emails, Linda and I have a couple of talented sons. Kevin’s stars are nothing but looking upwards while our other son is flying with the stars as a member of the United States Air Force.



It is hard to believe that Christmas is only a week away. At this time next week, we will be in Tewksbury celebrating Christmas with Kevin, Kyla, and Max. I can’t wait for that day to arrive!



Social Calendar – I will skim the Sunday newspapers; visit with Dad in the nursing home, come home and get ready for two Christmas Parties which are timed perfectly. The ITAM Members party goes from 1 PM to 3 PM, and the Berkshire Hills Country Club members party goes from 3 PM to 5 PM. The Patriots game starts at 4:15 PM. I am hoping that the Patriots are able to put an end to Tim Tebow mania. Linda never did get to make any cookies on Saturday since I tied up the kitchen making and eventually freezing a double batch of meatballs. If she doesn’t do any baking today, her Monday looks kind of free. I have a UNICO Membership dinner meeting on Monday at 6 PM, and that is it on our Monday social calendar as of right now. Sometimes, Linda is called upon to be a substitute player for Mah Jongg for a different group of women.



I watch a video online about a cat inheriting $13 million dollars from it owner who passed away, and she had no relatives or friends to give it to. During the video, the person doing the show said that there was a dog in Germany which holds the record of inheritance dollars. This dog is worth $300 million dollars.



One of the guys at our table last night introduced himself to Linda and me. The man and I know each other by sight since we both belong to the Berkshire Hills Country Club. I finally got to know his name yesterday. He told us how difficult it was after his wife passed away several years ago. It took him four years to return to his normal retiree activities. He said the pain of losing his wife was still there. He told us that they would have been married for 61 years if his wife was alive today. I don’t know why I brought up this sad thing when my email day has all positive stuff in it today. I guess that I am observing things that none of us married people want to go through, but it is a fact of life. My dad will be going home possibly as early as next week. He too will be going home to an empty house because he lost his wife of 65 years.



Well, the Sunday newspapers will arrive any minute now. I will skim them and do some quiet activities before Linda wakes up.

Have a great day even though the temperatures in the Berkshires will not even reach the 30 degree mark.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: