Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hello on Wednesday

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned in Curleyworld even though I didn’t do all the things on my “To Do” list. I would like you to note that I said “My” To Do List. Linda might ad a couple things to my list, but in general, I plan all my things that I want to accomplish each day. I (Linda too) have been so busy that I forgot what it is like to sit down and read a book.

I didn’t make the pizzelles, and I didn’t cut up the boxes in our garage on Tuesday. Oh Darn!
I guess I used a retirees’ tactic of “procrastination.” I did straighten out the bar in My Man which means that I could have an impromptu party in a heartbeat.

Linda had fun with her group of girlfriends as they played Mah Jongg all after noon on Tuesday.

When she came home, I had a crock pot dinner waiting for her. I whipped up a boneless beef pot roast with carrots, onions, and potatoes in a great gravy all cooked by my crock pot friend. The meal was superb. I couldn’t invite any friends to join us because the pot roast was a small one. Oh Darn!

I did visit my father in the nursing home after therapy. He wasn’t in the best of spirits because the medical staff at the nursing home said that they don’t want to release him to his home until his “fall risk” behavior has subsided. Oh Darn!

Politics – While the Republicans battle it out trying to get the Republican nomination to take a run at the President, it appears that neither of the top two candidates Mr. Romney or Mr. Gingrich are not fairing well. When 1 out of 10 Republican voters have chosen Romney or Gingrich as their two guys, the Republicans are in real trouble. President Obama is moving up in the polls, and if there was an election today, the President would still be in office for another term. This is good news for us Democrats. Of course, my independent friends, most who were raised in Democratic households, would have to make a decision. They keep telling me that they are independent thinkers, and that that have lost faith in the two party system, and they are going to vote for the best candidate. Yeah Right! Well, the best candidates are either a Democrat or Republican. The two party system hasn’t faded into the sunset that last time that I checked.

News – I see that thousands of the troops who will be home for the Christmas Holidays after they left Iraq have already received their marching orders, and they are heading to Afghanistan. We are hoping that our son doesn’t get another tour of duty to Afghanistan, but it looks like he might be deployed there too. I haven’t asked him, but when we were visiting them in Georgia in October, he and his squadron mates weren’t exactly twiddling their thumbs when they were at the Air Force Base during the few days that we were there.

Speaking of tour of duty, our local newspaper highlighted a soldier who did four tours of duty in Iraq. He surprised some elderly relatives as he wore a holiday mask the other day. His combat boots gave him away. This soldier was a former student of mine at Taconic. What they didn’t say in the article, which his mother told me after his first tour of duty, was that when he visited his parents, he slept with “one eye open”. If there was the slightest bit of noise in the house, he would wake up in a heartbeat and react. My student is going to leave the service and get married to a girl whom he met in the service. The article said that they will be living in the Midwest after they get married. I will remember my former student as a smart, and dedicated to his country type of person. When he was in high school, I can still see him playing a drum and being part of the Pipe Band that his parents belonged to. He went from a kid to an adult as soon as he went off to boot camp and eventually off to fight in Iraq.

Sports – I didn’t have any to watch on Tuesday so I tried to watch to watch a program with Linda. It was one of those police like murder mystery programs made for television. I lasted through this one program before I gave up bonding with Linda. She started watching a second program, but I couldn’t sit still. Watching the 10 PM news before calling it a night made me happy.

Social Calendar – Linda has her Knitting Group Gathering at Panera Bread this evening. I am going to try and do some of the tasks that I didn’t get to on Tuesday, but I might do another day of procrastination. Oh Darn!

Weather – We have a couple days of 40 degree weather. Santa will need a raincoat at some point during this mild weather. We might get a few snow showers on Friday, but it doesn’t look anything like Christmas should be as of this moment. Oh Darn! My wool sweaters have not been getting a workout so far.

Have a great Wednesday!
Christmas is almost here.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: