Thursday, December 1, 2011

Hello on Thursday

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned in Curley world except for Linda waking up before she wanted to.
The telephone woke her up at 8:30 AM. I know that some of you are saying “poor Linda” because you were most likely at work or school, but retirees are not bound by hands of time.
The telephone call was not from one of our multiple friends, or not from anyone trying to sell us something; it was from a plumber. It wasn’t even our plumber! We have some friends who need a sump pump installed in their basement, but they are currently out of town. I have keys to our friend’s home. My job was to meet the plumber at our friend’s home so that he could take a look at what he could do to solve a problem of water in my friend’s basement when we have severe rains. I have been waiting for the telephone call fro several days, but I thought it would come after the 9 AM hour. Oh Darn!

The rest of the day went as planned for both of us; a visit with dad, a VENUS procedure fro me, opening of our friend’s home for their plumber, a nap, set up the third television in the Master Bedroom, pork dinner, and the Boston Bruins hockey game.
Linda wrote out the bills, did some internal Christmas decorations, did some errands, and went off to her knitting group gathering at Panera Bread at 6 PM.

The Crock Pot Pork rib roast turned out very well. During the mid afternoon, Linda was on the lap top which we have on the kitchen table, and I was puttering around the house. I heard this clanging of silverware and a dish. The wonderful smell of the pork in the crock pot got to her. She went into the crock pot and took off a few of the ‘fall off the bone’ pieces of pork. I caught her just as she put some pieces of the meat in her mouth. I ate the pork after Linda left for knitting. I didn’t want to eat in front of her because I didn’t want her to be like a dog and hover around my plate hoping that I would drop some food on the floor.

I went to bed a happy man because my Boston Bruins knocked off the first place team in their division. The Bruins are now in first place even though it is a slim one game lead.

My position on the sex life of candidates for office stirred up a little discussion on Wednesday. If anyone is a candidate for office, the media will dig up any less than perfect activities that the person has done in their lives. If the person does something of immoral nature or illegal thing, or breaks the trust of the American people while in office, the media will find out about that too. Could we have candidates who start off with squeaky clean backgrounds? Yes, Albert was correct that the rich and the poor do much of the same not so good things in life. I was trying to make the point that that the rich and the famous sometimes feel that it is their God given right to do anything that they want.

Social Calendar – I have to figure out what to do with the clunker, but working televisions, that I replaced with flat screened televisions. The storage area in the basement is out of control. I have to do some rearranging and the throwing out of stuff. Linda has to be able to get at things like the bucket of Christmas linens, pillows, etc. The hall closet has to be worked on too. It might be time to switch the light weight coats and jackets to the winter ones. There is also a visit with dad that I have to work in. I will most likely take an afternoon nap. This evening, I don’t have a sporting contest, but I have a couple hours of what Linda calls Blah, Blah, Blah as I watch and listen to the experts talk about the Boston Sports teams with an emphasis on the upcoming Patriot game on Sunday.
Linda wants to be left alone until she heads off to a chick flick with her girlfriend who will soon be off to three months in the warmth and sun of Mexico after the Christmas holidays.

Our military son sent a cute picture of his one year son climbing a set of wooden blinds in their Georgia home. Our son said that he was out of sight of his son for less than 30 seconds, and Gabriel was almost 6 feet off of the ground. Our son’s almost four year old daughter would never even think of doing such a thing. I had to remind my son that boys are wired differently than girls.

It is hard to believe that another month has come to an end, and December is already here. Today is the day my health insurance switches over to Medicare even though my birthday is not until the 23rd of December. My high school friend and neighbor up the street turns 65 years old next week. He won’t be switching to Medicare because I don’t believe that he has the 40 quarters which you need to collect Social Security and to be eligible for Medicare. He will stay on the retiree health insurance program that the City of Pittsfield offers since we spent our lives working for the Pittsfield Public Schools.

Tonight is Pasta night in our home for supper. A salad, Italian bread, a glass of red wine will compliment a penne pasta dish in a Red Sauce.

The doctor who did my VENUS procedure asked how my Thanksgiving went. After I explained what we did for Thanksgiving, he said that his three children and all of the doctor’s grandchildren were home for Thanksgiving. It almost brought a tear to my eye because I am not sure when that will ever happen for Linda and me. At least I get to hug one grandchild quite often in North Tewksbury, and soon he will have a new sister in mid February. As a matter of fact, I will be giving Max a hug next week because I will be doing a little baby sitting in North Tewksbury. The doctor’s oldest son and our son Michael went to high school together. The doctor’s son, Adam, is an executive for the Target Stores based in Minnesota. He has two children about the same age as our son. The doctor also has another son and daughter. The daughter is married and has a child too.

Well, I am really going to try and be extremely quiet. Linda has had no free time to do what she wants to do for the whole week, and she deserves to be able to sleep for a long time. I think that I will attack the storage room in the basement after I read the local newspaper. The storage room is two floors below the bedroom, and I shouldn’t generate too much noise in that room.

Have a great Thursday at work or play!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

P.S. Don’t forget that if anyone wants to be dropped from my daily blog, just let me know.

No comments: