Saturday, December 10, 2011

Hello on Saturday

Dear Friends,

Another day in CurleyWorld went as planned. The best part of the day was the gala at the Seven Hills Resort in Lenox. The gala was to raise funds for a battered women’s support program. Our bids were not accepted on a couple of items of the silent auction. The regular auction was for people of considerable means which didn’t include the people at The Purple Plume table. This total open bar affair was great! Linda and I had the beef selection, and our beef was the type that I usually cook in our crock pot. The beef was from a boneless pot roast. The only negative was the food wasn’t that warm, but it was flavorful.

The ladies at our table were dressed magnificently. I wore a black tux like suit so I could fit in with the rich and famous. Some people thought that I was a high roller. The only thing I did was to roll up to the bar!

Of course I ran into a good deal of people who I grew up in Lee / Lenox area. One guy quizzed me before telling me his name because I didn’t recognize who he was. He is the owner of the Dresser Hull Lumber Company in Lee which has been in Lee for what seems forever. I told him that I didn’t recognize him because he didn’t have much hair. His wife took my side of the discussion. As we chatted, He told me that he is one of those guys who will work until he passes away. He told me that he could never retiree. I used my standard line that many for many people, retirement is not an option, and it is the daily routine of work that keeps him alive. He is a couple years older than me. He and his wife have four grandchildren like the Curley’s will soon have.

Linda ran into a woman while having a body maintenance procedure on Friday. As they were chatting, they both discovered that they were going to the same Gala. We met this woman and her significant other at the function. We found out that the woman is the sister of a former neighbor who moved to the high rent district in Pittsfield a couple of years ago. It definitely is a small world!

We are booked into only one event today. Our Irish Sister City Committee members are helping out with a tree decorating ceremony which will take place at the Veterans’ Monument located on South Street in Pittsfield. The Dwyer Funeral is sponsoring this Veterans’ event. The Dwyer Lad is also our Irish Sister City President, and an integral part of the family business. The Sister City group will be helping to pass out coffee and doughnuts at the 1 PM affair. The set up people will be meeting at 12 PM which is when I will arrive. I am not sure if Linda can make the event. She was so tired and stressed out from shopping, and purchasing presents over the past couple of weeks that she definitely needs some down time. I have to admit that I have not been an active participant. Also, if you saw our social calendar for next week, there aren’t many free days or evenings for either of us. We sometimes have triple events booked in each day, and we have to make some serious choices of which events that we just can’t make.

After the ceremony, I think that Linda have to spend some together moments shopping for some food items and some last minute gifts. Linda has been using those J.C. Penny and Macy coupons on a daily basis. Every day new ones come in the mail, and she just can’t throw them away. She came home with a bag full of Franny clothes yesterday at bargain prices, and I am not waiting until Christmas to wear them.

I slept until 7:23 AM this morning which is highly unusual for me. It could have been from the therapist jumping on my body while intending to straighten out my leg. Oops, this doesn’t sound right, does it? What I meant to say is that she was working my left leg that I have lost the ability to straighten our completely because of arthritis. The therapist said that with at least 6 sessions, the leg should almost return to its natural state. The hand & arm therapist was a different story. I felt like I was at a spa as she played with my fingers and right arm.
I once again ran into some former teachers whose bodies need a little work on. I am not the only one who needs the healthcare system at this point in our lives.

If you haven’t started shopping, you better get out there this week.
I know Kevin and Kyla are going out to find another 11 foot Christmas tree this weekend.
They would normally have one already in their home, but the trip to Disney last weekend, and Kyla’s conference in Orlando put a damper on their plans.
I did suggest to Kevin, when I was baby sitting, to get a smaller tree. I soon realized not to butt into the way Kevin and Kyla do things in their lives.

Well, it is little after 9 AM as I end this email.
Have a great weekend!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: