Saturday, December 3, 2011

Hello on Saturday

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned in Curley World. Everything that both of us set out to do was accomplished.

There were about 50 + of us UNICANS who attended the wake for the father of one of our members. I liked the part when we UNICAN’s were allowed to cut into a massive line to do our brief prayer service. The number of people who attended the wake at St. Mark’s Church was unbelievable. This family made an impact on our community for sure. After the short prayer service, we went through and expressed our condolences to the wife of the deceased as well as several family members. When I gave the wife of the deceased man a hug, she asked how my Mom was doing. I hope that I didn’t make her feel bad when I said: “Mom died a month ago.” This saint of a woman had been dealing with her husband’s failing health about the same time that my father was dealing with his bladder infection. I distinctly remember seeing the son of the deceased man outside the emergency room a little over a month ago. I asked him what he was doing at the hospital, and he said that they just took his dad to the emergency room. His Mom had been taking care of his dad since the time that we met in the hospital (late October), so she never caught my mother’s obituary in the local newspaper.

After the wake, Linda and I headed off to the Shamrock for some fun, food, and merriment. I did have a few things that didn’t go well at the Shamrock. The first thing was that I filled out a KENO Card using a red pen that I had with me. The KENO machine rejected my KENO form because of the red ink, so the lady had to type in all my information. The second thing that didn’t go well was my attempt to help the female bartender to open up a bottle of Red Wine with a Rabbit Device bottle opener. I spilled wine all over my sweater, the bar, and my KENO ticket and I got the cork stuck in the bottle. One of the waitresses came to my rescue and got the cork out of the bottle with a different cork puller. When we finally decided to sit down and eat, we both ordered glasses of ice water. I decided to not drink the water with a straw. I dribbled water down the front of my sweater, not once, but two times before I went back to the straw.
My difficult night did not end after we left the Shamrock. The Kia needed gas, so we pulled into a Shell gas station so that we could get the $.30 off per gallon for shopping at Stop & Shop. You needed the credit card size Stop & Shop Card to get the discount. We had the Key tag size so we couldn’t get gas unless we wanted to forgo the discount. I decided to drop Linda off at home, and get the credit card size Stop and Shop Card. When I returned to the gas pumps and went through the various steps before putting gas in the car, I still encountered a problem. I am ready to start pumping gas, but I didn’t park close enough to the gas pumps so the hose couldn’t reach the car. I had to get into the car and move forward a little. Since the time was too great between the authorization to pump gas, and me actually pumping gas, the gas pump shut itself off. I tried to start the authorization process all over again, and the machine said to check with the attendant. The attendant had to come out of his booth, and help me out. Since I was the last customer, he asked if it was okay if I pump the gas into my car in the dark. I said it was okay! When it came to the part when the machine asks if you want a receipt, I pushed the “yes” button. Since it was dark, I couldn’t see what the receipt said. I just ripped it off, and drove back home. I gave the receipt to Linda, and it was all gibberish. There were all kinds of numbers, etc., but the price of what I paid for gas was nowhere to be found on the receipt. Good thing that I remembered the correct amount. When I got home I decided that going to bed was the best thing that I should do before anything else could go wrong. Even watching television in bed didn’t go well. I fell asleep while attempting to watch television. The loud noise from some sports’ program woke me up at midnight. I was glad when I finally got back to sleep.

I did see where a small Indiana Church banned a biracial couple from their Church. Since the vote was taken to not allow the couple in the Church was taken, a more tolerant Pastor is now in charge of the Church. The white woman was actually am member of the Church choir. The white woman and the black man were planning on getting married in this Church, but I don’t know if it will happen.

Politics – President Obama got some good news which should help his re-election bid. The jobless rate was lower this past week. A second bit of good news was that the Stock Market has its biggest gain since ‘09” during this past week. Positive news can help anyone running for office. We Democrats hope that his term of office is without any scandals.

Social Calendar – Linda has set the bedroom alarm so that she can get up and head out to the first of two Crafts Fairs this morning. She is going to arrive at the doors of the Sacred Heart Crafts Fair before the doors even open. She is going after the home made Italian cookies first. There are a lot of things besides foods. There is a Chinese Raffle, and we usually win some item almost every year. Linda loves it when we get a late afternoon telephone call that we won something. She will also be heading to a Protestant Church in Dalton which has their annual Crafts Fair. I will not be Linda’s Crafts Fair buddy today. I am going off to visit dad in the nursing home while she is attending the first Crafts Fair.
This evening we are free for the moment. If we don’t hook up with anyone, we will be using one of those Restaurant Radio Auction coupons. We have several of them to choose from.

Linda is socially engaged on Sunday afternoon into the evening. I will be watching NFL football games from 1 PM through Sunday Night Football. The Patriots play at 1 PM. It will be another party with myself in my Man Cave. I might get a rotisserie chicken from B.J.’s Warehouse, and snack on it all day and night long! For $4.99, and some vegetables which we have in our house, it will be one pleasant day for The Curley Lad.

Have a great Saturday!
The Curley’s will be having one for sure.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: