Monday, January 11, 2010

Hello on Monday Morning

Dear Friends,



I hope that everyone had a great weekend. The Curley’s had one until Linda caught a stomach bug on the last day of our weekend adventure.

On the other hand, I feel great, and I hope that she doesn’t pass on whatever she has.



I am the only one who is socially engaged today. I have a UNICO Board Meeting at the Italian American Club at 6 PM. I do have to run a couple of errands, one of which is to pick up some of those Duraflame Logs for our fire place.



I am still in a state of mourning because of my Patriots losing their playoff game at home yesterday. Good thing that I didn’t have a bunch of people over for a Patriot Party. There wouldn’t have been much joy at the party at all.

The Boston Celtics did win their game as the Patriots were losing their contest.



Politics – When there isn’t much news to report, the media has to create their own news. Some old comments from Henry Reid ended up in a book that he wrote. His unkind words about the President caused a stir, not only with our leader, but the African American community. An apology was accepted, but is it good enough?



News – Besides the usual stuff, the scientists are trying to figure out why it is so cold in many parts of the United States as well as in Europe, and Asia. They claim that global warming is still taking place, but it is really difficult for the average person to accept this claim as we wear turtle necks and wool sweaters. Our friends in Florida are getting daily reminders of what they would be experiencing if they stayed in the Northeast like the Curley’s.



We got our electric bill! Those weeks of having the Christmas lights on both inside and outside the house ended up being quite expensive. I didn’t take the lights off of the bushes yet, or remove the lighted deer in the front of the house. The deer are frozen into the ground. It is too bad that I couldn’t leave the lights in the bushes up all year long? Some friends tried that a few years ago, but the bushes just kept on growing. The strings of lights stretched and snapped, and eventually had to be replaced.

Our Christmas decorations in the house are still up. We are in no hurry to take them down.



As I was ice-fishing on Saturday with a bunch of guys, it brought back some fond memories. The host of the derby, Todd Brodeur, said that the last time that he went ice-fishing, was when I took him and our sons at one of the lakes in the Berkshires. I think that he was in the 8 to 10 year old range. Now he is married, and expecting their first child (a boy) during May.

If Linda is feeling better today, I might drop in a couple of tip ups, and postpone the errands until another day.



Observation – Some of my baby boomer friends are experiencing some hearing loss. I have to remember which ear is their good ear when speaking to them. My right ear gives me a little problem, but some of my friends seem to have a bit more of a hearing loss.

Sometimes the hearing loss bug me. As an example, at the Polenta dinner last week, one of the kitchen workers who was in charge of coordinating table reservations couldn’t hear pretty much anything as we tried to communicate with him in the kitchen. I almost told him that he needs a hearing aid.

Another guy on our assembly line, of us plating the dishes, also didn’t hear well. This guy and I were the last ones in line putting the sausages on the plate. Conversation didn’t go well.

Is this part of what the Golden Years are supposed to be about?



Some of our friends and their family members went to see the Avatar movie. Their enjoyment of the movie was a bit less than what Linda and I experienced. Their restaurant experience was the best part of their adventure. No matter whether we liked or disliked the movie, we all contributed to the profits for the people who made the movie.

Linda and I still have to squeeze in the Sherlock Holmes movie sometime this week.



Well, have a great week at work or play.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: