Monday, January 25, 2010

Hello on Monday Morning

Dear Friends,



Our day went exactly as planned except that the Football teams that I hoped would win were not successful.



The memorial service at Temple Knesset Israel went very well. Linda attached the Yarmulke with a hair pin to my head. The service lasted a little less than an hour.

The son gave a long eulogy about his Mom. As he was describing her life, I felt like she was describing my mother. Every thing that his Mom did while my friend was growing up; my mother did too in her life. His parents even got married the same year as my parens, 1946. His mom knitted hats, gloves, and sweaters, just like my mother. His mom baked cookies and cakes and shared them with friends and relatives. His Mom quit school around the eighth grade, during the depression, to help out her family. My mother did too. Since my Mom was one of the older females in her family of 10, she helped raise her younger brothers and sisters. His mom was pursued by this man who wouldn’t give up requesting her hand in marriage, and that was the relationship between my mother and father. As a matter of fact, I was looking at my mother and father’s wedding picture the other day, and I noticed the name of the photographer on the picture. The photographer was my friend’s grandfather. Aren’t we all connected in one way or another?

Another positive of attending the service was that we met some teachers whom we haven’t seen in some time. We chatted for a while, and the group of us were the last ones to leave the Temple.



We did go from the Temple to the grocery store. The grocery store was like a zoo. Actually it was like when a snow storm is predicted, and people feel the need to stock up with a couple day supply of food even though they have enough at home. We went in for 10 items, but it seemed to take for ever to check out of the store. We waited in the 15 items or under isle, and the clerk shuts off her light as we were waiting as the third people in line. I would have left the grocery cart, and walked out the door, but most of the items were for me. It was mostly fruit that we purchased.

We did have to get one item to replace an item that I opened up, but couldn’t use it correctly. We like to have oatmeal in the house. We were supposed to buy the one minute kind. I tried making a bowl of oatmeal with this old fashion oatmeal. I followed the micro wave instructions. I stepped away from the kitchen while the oatmeal was brewing in the microwave. When I returned, the container, that I was brewing the oatmeal in, turned into Mount Vesuvius. Oatmeal was dripping down the side of the container. Oatmeal was on the walls of the microwave. I cleaned up the mess and went for a less healthy box type cereal.



We dropped off the groceries at home, freshened up, and headed off for the 2 PM wake. Our friends, who drove in from New Jersey while on a family visit, were in the parking lot before we arrived. They were waiting in their car until 2 PM. I had to teach them the Curley method of attending a wake. I always arrive at the funeral home at least 10 minutes before the starting time. If the door to where the body is being viewed is closed, I just wait in line and socialize with the other mourners. If the door is open, just walk right in give my condolences to the family. I always try and tell a funny story about the deceased to break the tension, and limit the tears. Yesterday the priest was there to say a prayer service at 1:45 PM. If I wasn’t in the parking lot discussing the Curley wake procedure to our friends, I would have made the family prayer service.



We arrived home in time for me to watch football, and for Linda to watch her ice-skating. I really didn’t watch football. I had the volume down low while trying to read Stephen King’s, “Under the Dome.” I read 275 pages of this 1000 page book. Linda purposely bought this book for me so that I could savor the book. I will finish this book before this week is over. The book so far has been a good read for me. The negative is that you can’t hold the book in one hand. I would never carry a book like this on a plane. I would have to check it in as luggage!



Today we are off to a Mass for the deceased. We are to meet in the Church at 9:45 AM. Since it is raining and windy, the Irish clubs will be setting up the honor guard inside the Church as the pall bearers walk the deceased down the isle to the altar.

I talked to the son of the funeral director, who is a member of our Irish Sister City Committee yesterday, and I asked where the reception was after the Mass since the deceased will be buried at a later date. The reception is at the Wahconah Country Club. The deceased was a member of the golf club. The deceased was a full blooded Irishman. The celebration of his life could be an all day affair, but I am up for the challenge (not sure about Linda).

My point of describing all of this stuff about death is that not all wakes and funerals have to be about gloom and doom.

The Irish treat it as another event which could turn into a celebration. I think that they have the correct idea of how to deal with losing a loved one!



Have a great day at work or play.

You will know what Linda and I will be doing.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: