Saturday, January 30, 2010

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,



We had another pleasant day on Friday.

My day started off at Retro Fitness, but I wasn’t there at the 4:30 AM starting time. To avoid distractions, I got on a tread mill next to a full figured woman.



For Linda it was one of those days that she must have wanted to sleep late even though she had that retiree breakfast which started at 8:30 AM. I had to wake her up at 8 AM. There were only four women who showed up. One woman overslept. Another lady wasn’t there because she was just diagnosed with ovarian cancer. The breakfast is supposed to be a happy occasion. Yeah right!



I did go off to do my errands. While on the way, a person came over the icy Junction Bridge which is a mile from our home. I saw a person in a yield lane try and put on their brakes to avoid hitting my car. The person didn’t know that the Bridge was not salted. When the person applied the brakes, his car slid into the curbing as I drove by. As I kept driving, I thought “no big deal”. As I got about a mile down the road, a police cruiser with its lights flashing was heading to the scene of the accident. I am guessing that another car behind the car which hit the curbing crashed into that car. Did I cause the accident?



We did go to the Beacon Cinema to see the latest Mel Gibson movie. Linda and I both enjoyed the movie. With the senior matinee discount, it cost $13 for the both of us. Parts of the film were shot in East Boston, and Northampton, Massachusetts. Linda and I recognized the East Boston sequence since was shot not too far from our son’s restaurant.

If you remember, Mel Gibson got arrested for a DUI a while back. While being arrested, he made some racial slurs directed at people of the Jewish faith. This was not good career move for him because the movie industry is pretty much run by people of Jewish descent!



It is a balmy -.4 degrees according to my digital thermometer on the north side of our house. It usually dips a degree or two more a little before sunrise.

Yesterday’s wind was awful. I think that we reached 11 degrees for the actual temperature on Friday. With the wind chill, it was well below zero.

The wind is supposed to stop around 10 AM, but we should only get into the teens today. Florida and the Caribbean are looking awfully tempting!



Social Agenda – We shouldn’t have to leave the house until the Rotary Auction this evening at the Crowne Plaza. The Auction has a preview and silent auction starting at 5 PM, but the actual auction doesn’t start until 6:30 PM. They do have complimentary appetizers, and cookies for dessert. Some people treat the food as their main meal. I like watching the people trying to fill up a small plat

I try and select food that won’t dribble on my sweater and pants. I usually don’t succeed.



Our Sunday is already booked in. There is a book signing (second book) for a local author at Patrick’s Pub from noon until midnight. The author is a person of Irish descent who grew up in Pittsfield. Patrick’s Pub has booked in four Irish bands for the 12 hour event. I don’t think that Linda and I are going to be there for 12 hours, but it does give us something to do on a Sunday.

I would have gone ice-fishing, but it has to warm up a few degrees before I venture out on the frozen pond.

A few days ago, I saw open water at Laurel Lake. The cold weather has sure changed that over these past couple of days. We went from a record high in the mid fifties to temperatures below zero. Welcome to the Berkshires!



Politics – President Obama is going around the country trying to defend his various positions on his approach to solving problems throughout the nation. One of them could help my son in his business. The President wants to give small business owners a $5000 tax credit for every new person that they hire. Could the President and his policies be working?



Have a great weekend whether you are in warm or cold climates.

Spring may seem a long way off for us people in the Northeast, but it will eventually arrive.

The snow birds will slowly make their way back to the Northeast as the temperatures rise in Florida.

Linda and I will have more friends to play with pretty soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: