Saturday, January 2, 2010

Hello on Saturday Morning

Dear Friends,



I did fall asleep watching college football in bed once again, and that is why I am up so early.



I loaded up Kyla’s car, and our last house guests departed around 12:30 PM on New Year’s Day. It is so quiet in our house right now that I can hear the field mice scurrying around in the garage.

It was pretty good that after both families departed from our house that only one item was left behind. Kevin left his winter coat that he might need during this up coming week.



After Kyla and Max left Pittsfield, We (mostly me) spent over three hours trying to return the house to that of a retired couple. We still have a couple more hours of work to do before this task is over. We might even shampoo the rugs in the house after a good vacuum cleaning at some point next week.



I am going to Retro Fitness today after a week of overindulging, and not exercising. My muscle strain is still with me. I might have aggravated it again just doing the normal things around the house when our grandchildren were with us. I am not going to do anything today at the gym that will strain those damaged muscles any more than they are right now.



I miss the grandchildren already. Isabelle would wake up each morning a little slower than Max would. Once she adjusted she was like the energizer bunny. Max woke up every morning with a smile on his face. It was like he was so happy to be rescued from his mini crib.

The dogs did like their visit in the Berkshire too. Billy just wanted someone to throw sticks so that he could retrieve them. I ran over one with the snow blower the other day as I was making paths to my bird feeders. I made the mistake with the other dog, Frankie Beans, of feeding him when I was cooking breakfast for our guests. He followed me every time that I went into the kitchen, hoping that I would give him something to eat. Both Billy and “Beans” were very good at helping us clean out the refrigerator of leftovers.



Speaking of food – We were invited over a friend’s house for an impromptu turkey dinner with all the fixings on New Year’s Day. I love turkey, and I must admit I gorged myself. Turkey is one of the food products which I could eat several times per year, and not just on Thanksgiving. Actually, Thanksgiving was the last time that I had a turkey dinner. We do have those turkey breasts in the freezer, but there is nothing like enjoying the whole bird. I was even allowed to pick up the turkey with my hands which made it even more enjoyable!



Sports – My Boston Bruins won a thriller of a hockey game at Fenway Park yesterday. 38,000 fans were at the park watching this “Winter Classic”, but I think the best view was watching it on television. The fans were a good distance from where the hockey rink was located in the outfield of Fenway Park.

I hope that your favorite football team won their game yesterday. My relatives from Ohio were very happy as their Buckeyes finally won a Bowl game. Can their curse of not being able to win a big game finally be over?

The College Bowl season continues today. The only game that I would be interested in watching would be the one that the University of Connecticut would be participating in.



The Tiger Woods saga continues. One of those Supermarket tabloids has pictures of Tiger groping one of his female transgressions. The pictures were found on a security camera where the groping took place. Tiger might not even get custody of his children when the divorce is final.



We did accept the invitation to baby sit for our East Boston grandchild on Friday night. We will combine the baby sitting with a visit to our Tewksbury friends, the Brodeurs, whom we haven’t seen since Thanksgiving. I do want to go ice-fishing with their son who lives in New Hampshire at some point over the weekend, but I am waiting to hear what the weather will be. If it is too cold, the Curley lad doesn’t do ice-fishing.

Speaking of cold, some cold Canadian air is already in Minnesota, which is Danielle’s home State. Her parents will be enjoying a high of 0 degrees today. 0 degrees is a bit brisk for me to go ice-fishing.



Off and on snow showers are the forecast for us in the Berkshires today. I like it when the dirty snow is covered up with a new layer of snow.



Some of the people on our street have shut off their Christmas lights, but not the Curley’s. I am ready to shut them off, but Linda is not. Our Christmas tree is going to stay up another week too. Maybe we should have gotten a live tree. The Christmas decorations inside the house might stay up until mid February according to the Queen. The thought of taking down decorations that took 4 or 5 days to put up is a bit over whelming for Linda.



Politics – It is a bit quiet in Washington right now. The President was surfing in Hawaii with relatives over Christmas. I wonder what the New Year will bring? I will keep a positive attitude, and I hope that my Republican friends and relatives do also.



What do we call the New Year? Last year it was “09”? Do we call it “010” or just “10”? I am leaning toward the shorter version.



Social Calendar – We might be going to see a movie today, and it won’t be a “Chick Flick”.



Well, I hope that all of you had a great Christmas and New Year’s!

As you have seen from my daily Blog, we had the best one in several years.

Have a great Saturday and Sunday!

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: