Friday, April 16, 2010

Hello on Friday Morning

Dear Friends,



I just returned from Retro Fitness. I forgot what a gym looked like since I haven’t been in one in over two weeks. I took it easy today so that I wouldn’t damage vital organs.



Linda has two body maintenance procedures today. I have some errands to run, and some packing to finish up.



If we were going to be around this weekend, we would have a Lobster Fest. A local supermarket is selling Lobsters at $5.99 per pound. This is about as low as the price of Lobsters would sell for. Normally, we would invite a bunch of people, and party on the deck. I would boil the Lobsters in my Turkey Fryer (with water). We have two days of temperatures predicted not to get out of the 40 degree range so a deck party wouldn’t work well this weekend anyways.



Observation 1 – While on the treadmill this morning, I watched a CNN news program. Anderson Cooper was interviewing Doctor Jack Kevorkian, the assisted suicide doctor. Dr. Kevorkian just got through spending 8 years and 3 months in jail. The good doctor didn’t think that he violated any Hippocratic Oath, or any law of nature. He still believes what he did, which was helping 130 people end their life of pain and misery because of a physical illness, was completely justified. I agree with him! The person who wanted to die always pushed the button which would start the chemical reaction which eventually would cause death. I think that he got caught because he pushed the button for one of his really sick patients.

There is going to be an HBO special called “You Don’t Know Jack”. Al Pacino is playing Doctor Kevorkian. I am so looking forward to the program.



Observation 2 – While on the way home from the gym this morning, there is a morning radio program where the host throws out a question and asks people to call in with their response. Today’s question was: “Do you believe in spanking as a form of discipline for your child?” Our generation of Baby Boomers grew up with: “Spare the rod, spoil the child!” adage. I used to believe in this adage, but as I see our children raise their children, I see that there might be a better way to deal with disciplining a child. I am starting to believe that “violence begets violence!” I am not sure what my readers think about spanking.

Most of the people who called in to respond to the question said that they were spanked as a child. They claim that they had no ill effects. One guy, who did get spanked, did say that he has turned into an aggressive adult, and that he wouldn’t back down from any conflict.



Yesterday, I did visit my father at the family home in Lee before visiting Mom in the nursing home. Dad seemed to be in good spirits. He had just come back from the grocery store. He wasn’t buying food. He had purchased laundry soap. Mom was always the person who did the laundry, but he has been on his own for over a year now, so he is getting pretty good at washing his own clothes.

As we were chatting, he told me a story related to his sometimes forgetfulness. Let me start by saying that some of my idiosyncrasies have been passed on through my parents, When my father’s gas tank in his car gets to a half a tank, he fills up his gas tank. One day he filled up his tank, but he forgot he did so. He goes to a gas station the next day, and tries to fill up the already filled up gas tank. Well, the automatic shut off won’t allow him to do so. He goes into the convenience store and tells the clerk that the gas pump is not working. The attendant was too busy, so my father left the store. He goes to another convenience store and tries putting gas in again. He goes into the store and says that the pump is not working at this place. This time the attendant goes out to the pump, and to assist my father. The attendant asks my father to check the gas gage in the car. The needle was on the full mark! Is this a preview of coming attractions for me?



My visit with Dear Old Mom in the nursing home went well also. I go into the nursing home a happy person, but I lose some of my joy as I leave the place.

I did take Mom outside so that she could enjoy some fresh air and the sunshine. While I was wheeling her to a sunny courtyard, she said: “Could you remind me who you are again?” I responded by saying: “I am the son who hasn’t seem you in over two weeks.” “I am the son who you always tell to: “Get as haircut!” Her dementia is starting to get to me. I have to keep saying to my self to be patient and understanding.



Linda’s book club gathering went well last evening. Even though Linda wasn’t fond of the book, the other ladies liked it. The book is called “The Tourist”. I liked it, but you can’t judge a book according to what I liked to read.



Well, I have to read the local newspaper and grab a cup of coffee.

I will try and do quiet activities for a while. I already jolted Linda out of bed when I opened the garage door at 4:25 AM, but I did park the car in the driveway, and came in the front door when I returned from the gym. I am really quite a considerate and thoughtful guy, don’t you think?

Have a great weekend!

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: