Saturday, April 17, 2010

Hello on Saturday

Dear Friends,



The gloom and doom weather forecast never materialized on Friday until after we had supper at the Shamrock with our Dalton friends. The weather was warm enough that I had a chance to give my car a good cleaning both inside and out.



Linda made it through her two body maintenance procedures, and returned to do some packing. I took an afternoon because I wanted to stay up and watch the opening day Red Sox game at Fenway. As I watched the game, seeing the people bundled up in winter clothes, and watching the visible breaths come out of the mouths of the ball players on a cold and windy night in Boston, I was so thankful that I was watching the game in the comfort of my own home. During the last few innings of the game the rains started to fall, I stopped watching the game when the score was tied, and the umpires halted the game in the bottom of the ninth. Good thing that I went to bed because the game was eventually suspended.

I am not sure if you gave me tickets to a Red Sox game in April that I would jump at the chance to go to the game. April in the Northeast is always iffy with respect to weather. When you are at Fenway, and a wind is blowing off of the ocean, it could be one cold day at the ballpark. The baseball players last night looked like they didn’t want to be there when the rain started to fall. Their opponents were a team from Florida, and they for sure looked like that they weren’t having any fun at all.



While at the Shamrock, I met one of my Italian friends and his wife who live in Florida during the winter. As we chatted, he said Florida was really cool during their multi month stay there. He said that the natives wearing winter gear (hats, gloves, and scarves) on some of the days when temperatures were in the low 60’s.



Linda said that she met another couple, during one of her errands, who spent some time in Florida too. They kept on asking themselves why they were in Florida when it was so cool there especially since it wasn’t too cold back in Pittsfield.



Last night, while we dinning at the restaurant, our wives told us a story that one of the women from their book club meeting told the group. I thought that you might enjoy this real life story. The daughter of one of the women, who lives down south, has a high functioning Down syndrome child who is 19 years old. The Down syndrome person can be left alone when not working. This one day, the mother calls the home to check with the son to see how things are going. When the son answered the telephone, he seemed very agitated. He kept on saying: “The troll’s in the closet, the troll’s in the closet, the troll’s in the closet!” The mother knew something was wrong, and immediately came home. Her Down syndrome child had locked someone in the closet. The mother, fearing that it could have been a robber, called the police before unlocking the closet door. The police arrive with their guns drawn, and unlocked the closet door. Inside the closet was a midget (little person to be politically correct). The dwarf was a “census worker”. When he came to the front door, the Down syndrome boy got confused, and really thought that the midget was a bad troll, and stuffed the guy in the closet. I am guessing that the Down syndrome boy saw a movie with trolls in it, or had a story read to him by his mom that had a troll theme. The good thing is that our government doesn’t discriminate with respect to who they hire as a census worker!



Well, in a few short hours, we will be heading east again to be with our youngest son’s family. My son opens his restaurant, “Dough”, on Saturday at 1 PM. We won’t see him until he closes the place. We will be there to help take care of the grandchild so that Kyla can finish unpacking some of the rooms which still have boxes and bags of stuff in them. I am guessing that some of the items might make it to the storage room in the basement.

On Sunday, Linda and Kyla will be going off to a baby shower for family friend. Kevin, Max, and me will be watching the Red Sox if the temperatures are too cool, or listening to the Red Sox while doing some yard work.



I am also debating whether to take some form of meat from our freezer with us to do a crock pot dinner during the few days when we will be with them in North Tewksbury. I am leaning toward binging one of those boneless pork tenderloins, and using a recipe that our Kansas City daughter-in-law prepared in her crock pot for us when we were there a couple of weeks ago. The recipe was so simple, and the ingredients made it taste so wonderful. We all had an Au Jus cup to dip the pork into as we ate the pork. I am getting hungry just thinking about how good the pork was that night for supper. If our pork turns out to be as good as it was in Kansas, then I will share the recipe with my readers.



Well, I have some quiet activities to get to.

Have a great Saturday.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: