Friday, February 4, 2011

Hello on Friday

Dear Friends,


This week really flew by. I can't believe that it is Friday already.


I decided to use the roof rake yesterday, and remove some of the snow from the garage roof. I only did one side of the roof, and I will tackle the other side soon.


Linda and I did go off and do couple of errands on Thursday. We took the paperwork saying that we are alive and well to get notarized so that our pension checks will keep on coming once a month.


Linda had fun at her Red Hat gathering at Zucco's restaurant last evening. I too had fun at Patrick's Pub last evening listening to the Jazz Ambassadors playing their music from 6:30 PM until 9:30 PM. I left a table of friends a little after 11 PM.


I walked into Patrick's a little after 6 PM. The place was packed including the room which we had the party in for our friend who just retired. If there is a recession, it sure didn't look like it in this place.


When I first arrived at Patrick's, I sat at the bar. I sat next to one of my former students from the 70's. He is currently a contractor who has made it to the big time. He has had a couple of girlfriends, but never got married. He is 57 years old, and enjoying life to the fullest.


Another couple walked in and sat next to us. The husband had Linda as his Biology Teacher before Linda and I became a couple. He said that he didn't remember much Biology. What he did remember was one of those big jars of frogs in formaldehyde (a chemical which they stopped using). No one in his class wanted to stick their hands in this jar to take out some frogs for the dissection class. This student told me that he didn't hesitate to stick his hands in that jar, and grab a frog for each student in the class.
This former student of both Linda and I owns a rental business which includes tent rentals for outdoor parties. He is another success story.


I don't have to drive to Logan Airport today to pick up our three Italian guests from our Sister City in Italy. Another friend and his son will be doing the pick up.
I was all set to stop a my son's restaurant, and feed our guests or at least pick up some sandwiches for the 2.5 hour ride home.


My services might be required after the Mayoral reception in Pittsfield. Our guests might need transportation to the hotel as well as to the Welcome Dinner at the ITAM is evening. Linda and I also have to squeeze in a wake for the father of a friend who used to live next door to us. His father was over 100 years old. I do remember one time when my friend's parents drove into our driveway by mistake since the color of our houses are quite similar. His mom died a few years ago. The local newspaper did an article about them on their 75th wedding anniversary. Do you think that my friend has those longevity genes too?


Weather -- We have another nuisance storm heading our way on Saturday. Another wintry mix including a 2 to 4 inch snow fall. My snow blower needs a little time off, but Mother Nature doesn't seem to let it happen.


We are booked in for both Saturday and Sunday.
We have another busy week coming up next week including judging a High School Science Fair at our Berkshire Museum.
One of these days we will learn the "No" word, but I don't think that it will happen soon.
Linda likes it when we are stuck in the house when a winter storm is coming because all commitments usually get cancelled.


My friend who just retired left for Georgia(driving his car) at 3 AM on Thursday morning. He is probably in Georgia right now. The only problem is that he is not going into warm weather. He will be heading into the storm which will reach us on Saturday. He might be dealing with freezing rain and cool temperatures right now. He also had to take off his studded snow tires which are illegal in most southern States. His wife is still here in the Berkshires. She will be retiring soon, and she will fly to Atlanta to be with him. Luckily they have a nice neighbor who will take care of snow removal while they are in Georgia.


Have a great weekend!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: