Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hello on Wednesday

Dear Friends,

I should be sleeping like most normal human being are doing right now, but my aching body woke me up. Ibuprofen didn't have much effect so I decided to get up, and write my daily blog.

Linda had fun before and during her Tuesday Mah Jongg session. While she was gone, I did some bathroom cleaning which wasn't a lot of fun. My version of clean is never as good as the Queen's is. I did try and squeeze in a nap before going to work at the pasta fund raiser. I didn't do well at that either.

It was the pasta fundraiser that tuckered me out. We set up the Italian American Club for 180 people, but we served 250 + people. Some of the people had to take their pasta down in the members' bar area because the main floor was packed. We have already decided that with a crowd this large, we will have to move the fundraiser to the ITAM next year which has larger facilities, and a bigger parking lot.

It is a balmy 12 degrees right now, but our weather prognosticators have the temperature rebounding to the 39 degree mark.

This would be a great day for me to drop in a few tip ups at Pontoosuc Lake, and see if I could hook into a large Northern Pike. If I don't catch any fish, I would get a great sun tan as I commune with nature.

How about the Germans purchasing the New York Stock Exchange? How can we let another country take over an American institution?

Our clothes all have foreign labels on them. Budweiser is owned by a foreign conglomerate. Foreign countries make a lot of our tools. Construction vehicles often have Japanese names on them. Many of our cars are produced in foreign countries. Do you think that we could ever return to good old made in America products?

Everything that has been happening in Egypt is a mirror image of what our country went through when we sent the British packing in the middle of the 1700 hundreds. There always is some sort of revolution when the average worker feels used and abused by the government which is in power.

The drug problem is another scourge across America. In the USA Today newspaper, they showed a 2 million dollar high tech submarine which the drug dealers are using to get the drugs from Columbia, to Mexico, and eventually to the United States.
If more people were working, or like me volunteering, they would come home from work so exhausted that they wouldn't even think about drugs. Too many people have a lot of free time on their hands, and they dabble in drugs thinking that it will make them happy.
Our country has in part become like the Roman Empire. We have become fat and lazy, and the "barbarians" have already started to make their move.

On a happier note, I do have a totally free day. Linda doesn't have to leave the house until she heads off to Panera Bread at 6 PM to hook up with her Wednesday night knitting group. I think that there is another pasta fundraiser at the Italian American Club this evening, but I need a break. Pontoosuc Lake is calling me. I think that I might let the temperature rise a bit before going ice fishing.

Sports -- My Boston Bruins lost a third game in a row. The Celtics play this evening. I see where Peyton Manning and Michael Vick got the franchise tags put on them so that they won't leave their current teams, and sign with another team. Did you see the mug shot of former Patriot Laurence Maroney who got arrested on a gun and drug charge over the weekend?
If the NFL players association and the owners can't reach an agreement, the players could go on strike. Life without football could be a real problem for many of us in the fall.

My Sports Illustrated Swim Suit edition arrived in the mail yesterday. I concentrate on the articles in this edition.
What I really enjoy is the letters to the editor the following week from people who want to cancel their subscription because of this issue. Some people will send letters asking what the swim suit issue has to do with sports? Swimming is a sport. Let's face it, Sex cells what ever the product a company wants to market. What these young and vibrant women have to realize is that beauty gets altered a bit as we age. Just capture the moment because beauty can leave you in what seems like a heart beat. I would love to have the body that I had when I was 21 years old. I just wish that I had the wisdom that I have now in that 21 year old body.

Have a great Wednesday at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: