Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Hello on Wednesday

Dear Friends,


Happy Ground Hogs Day!
I hope that the ground hog remains in hibernation because his hole in the ground has to be buried in snow.
Some of the creatures are starting to build snow forts to protect themselves from the elements.
For the past few nights there have been rabbit footprints on the top of the front steps. Even my furry friends are looking for a warm place to stay.


This day has particular significance for Linda and I. This is the day so many years ago that I mentioned to Linda that we would either go ice-fishing or pick out an engagement ring depending on the weather. It was kind of dumb / immature for me to even think that ice-fishing would be what we were doing on that day. Actually I do remember that it was very cold on that day. I guess that I told my two sons that story so many times that my sons never made it a choice between a sport or searching for an engagement ring.
Here we are almost 40 years later, and we are still happily married.


The snow after round one yesterday was about 6 inches deep. I went out to do my usual sidewalks, and paths to the bird feeders at the same time that my plow guy arrived to do driveway.
Round two started around midnight but I don't think that we are getting as much snow as they predicted. I do see a huge pile of snow at the bottom of our driveway caused when the city plows went down the street.
I hope there is no changeover to sleet or freezing rain, but we are right on the snow / sleet line.
I might have to use the snow rake on the garage today.
Pittsfield has already made the decision tom close the schools. I am guessing that the rest of the County will most likely follow suit.


Kevin was home with Max on Tuesday which is Kevin's usual day off. He hadn't figured how he was going to get the snow off of his driveway as of yesterday.
His restaurant continues to take a hit because of the never ending snow. I am watching a Boston news channel right now. It appears Boston will get more ice along with their snow. Logan Airport has pretty much shut down.
I am guessing that Max's daycare will shut down since most the schools in the area are closed.
If Linda and I lived closer to Kevin and Kyla, we could be helping out with childcare in these emergency situations.


The Boston Channel just showed a video of a contractor whose company dumped forty truck loads of snow into the Merrimack River this past weekend. This company is in big trouble with the EPA. There just aren't any places to dump the snow.


We might be shoveling more snow this weekend even though it won't be a great amount. The joy is never ending for all of us in the Northeast.


We had some friends who were doing one of those four day getaways (leave their elementary school children to the baby sitters) to some warmer climates. Their flight got cancelled, and the travel agent was trying to get them out as soon as possible. They never called their airlines like Linda and I did to see if they could get out before the storm hit. This situation is another example of why flying during the wintertime in the Northeast is not a good proposition.
I did hear a radio report from a travel agent who said that his business was booming. The people who are tired of dealing with snow are calling up in record numbers, and asking the travel agents to find them warm places to go. The agent said that cost wasn't even a factor for many of these people.


Speaking of money, the Stock Market rose above the 12000 mark. Somebody has to be making money even if it is not you and me.


The Egyptian President said that he isn't going to run for office when his term is over. His people want him to resign right now. The United States does a good job helping (spending American Dollars) to get these people elected to office because they support Democratic ideals. The United States needs a little work with respect making sure that these leaders don't stay in office too long or otherwise the people will revolt.


I missed the Boston Bruins and the Boston Celtics contests last evening because I was savoring a book. Both teams won their respective contests.
Tom Brady was named Quarterback of the Year even though he didn't take his team to the Super Bowl.


Linda's Mah Jong Ladies started calling before 9 AM on Tuesday. Nobody wanted to drive on the snow covered roads.


The Crock Pot Chicken Soup turned out spectacular. We ate it for lunch and supper.
Before we went to bed last night, we set up some Beef Stew in the Crock Pot. Our next door neighbors might be joining us for supper.


A friend sent us an email from Florida. He was taking a walk in 80 degree weather. During the past year, they sold their house in New Jersey (including their snow blower), and moved to Florida. I told him that Linda and I love the Four Seasons, and we were enjoying the snow event.


Well, I have to put on some boots and get the local newspaper off of the driveway.
Have a great Wednesday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: