Friday, January 13, 2012

Hello on Friday

Dear Friends,

We have a roller coaster day weatherwise on tap for today. It is in the 30's right now, but during the afternoon, the temperatures will start dropping. We might even see some Lake effect snow squalls. It is already in the lower 20's in Western New York as the cold front heads toward the Berkshires. After a couple days of winter like weather, we will have another warm up. I hope that one of these days that I will be able to drop in a few tipups!

It was a quiet day in our house on Thursday. I did leave the house and brought dad his favorite newspaper. He wasn't in his room because he was tooling around the corridors in his wheel chair. He seemed a little better, but his speech wasn't that great.

I did stop at the grocery store and picked up a loaf of Italian Bread and salad ingredients. Our Pasta supper went well last evening, and it was yummy.

I did bump into a former colleague at the grocery store. My friend is a member of Berkshire Hills Country Club. He was walking with cane, and I asked him what he needed the cane for. This almost octogenarian said he spent 6 days in the hospital with leg issues. He couldn't remember the long medical name of his illness. He was experiencing some unusual swelling in his legs, but he is back to semi normal.

After supper, Linda and I parted ways. I went into my Man Cave and watched the Boston Bruins Hockey game. Linda did some knitting while watching her favorite programs. The Bruins won their game by a slim 2 to 1 margin. They do miss one of their players who got suspended for 5 games because of a dirty hit on an opponent.

I have a therapy session at 8 AM this morning, and then I will head off to the nursing home and bring dad his favorite newspaper.
Linda has a mid morning body maintenance appointment. I think that this is it for our commitments today. This is good because we have to make sure that we are set for the Saturday night Patriot's party in my Man Cave.

I skimmed through the CNN news on line, and nothing jumped out at me.
I do have the television on in the kitchen as I sit at the table and create this e-mail. They showed a video from a courthouse in Georgia. Two families, one for the victim and one for the alleged murderer, got into a brawl in a corridor of the Georgia courthouse just before they were supposed to go into superior court. The crowd of about 40 people had to be restrained by the Court house sheriffs. I was thinking how lucky that all of these people had gone through the normal court house security checkpoint. It was just a normal fight with words, fists and not weapons of any kind. This brawl will hit the airwaves for sure throughout the day.

I also did see where the Republican Governor Haley Barbour from Mississippi is getting a whole bunch of flack for releasing / pardoning some prisoners in their over crowded jails. He even pardoned a convicted murderer. Doesn't this sound like something that former Governor of Massachusetts, Michael Dukakis, did just before he decided to take a run at becoming President of the United States several years ago?

An Irish Sister City friend and her boyfriend are visiting her Mom in the Villages in Florida. I can't wait for a few stories from this 55 year old and older community! Our two friends are not old enough to live in this community so I am guessing that they will tell us some funny stories from their weekend getaway.

On the local level, there was little controversy which took place at the publicly televised School Committee meeting. The school committee members do not receive any compensation for their job. The new Chairman of the committee made committee appointments during the meeting. He made some changes, and some people who have been on certain committees for years were assigned different committees. Well this upset the former chairperson of the committee. My radio talk show host friend also got all of his listeners fired up in support of the person who felt she was "dissed" when the sub committee appointments were made. My position is that "Change is good." I really didn't see that the changes made were a big deal. I say "Don't sweat the little stuff!"

I was also thinking about the Marine incident which has hit the airwaves. Can you imagine the not so nice stuff which happened on both sides during World War II, but did not make print or get caught on video?
All this technology stuff is a detriment to actually what goes on in war. When you are fighting side by side with a friend who gets killed or maimed in action, you might develop a little hate for the enemy. When you have to pick up your military brothers and sisters that were wounded and possibly killed from a roadside bomb, you might have a revenge motive in your next firefight. War brings out "Mans inhumanity to man."

Well, I have to read the local newspaper and put on therapy type of clothes.
Have a great day at work or play!
Talk to you soon! The Curley Lad

No comments: