Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hello on Tuesday

Dear Friends,

Hope that you all had a pleasant Monday like the Curley's did.

I just skimmed CNN on line, and there wasn't much that jumped out at me. One item did strike me as kind of funny. There is a brewery down south that produces "Sexual Chocolate" beer at this time of the year. The video showed pictures of people standing in line in rather cool weather waiting for the doors to open to get this beer. In the video, it appears that the male and female beer drinkers are younger than we baby boomers. The brewery makes enough beer for bars and local establishments until this particular beer runs out, and they don't make another batch again until the following year. I wonder if this beer will help couples who are having problems producing children.

Speaking of producing children, I didn't realize that a Congressional Bill had a few amendments / attachments where employers who provide health insurance must cover abortions and fertility options. The abortion part is what really disturbs me. One the Crusades of the Knights of Columbus is abortions lead to to deaths of unborn children. The government should not be paying for abortions especially if women are using it as a form of birth control.
The government making employers help with costs related to Fertility on the other hand is fine with me. I know of a lot of married couples who would make such great parents, but are really struggling to produce children. A little help from scientific methods are fine with me.

Our Irish Idol, Liam Geddes and his dad, should be in the Berkshires right now. We know of only two events for sure that the Pittsfield Irish Sister City Committee has booked in:

1. On Thursday, February 2, 2012 we are celebrating Liam's 21st birthday at Patrick's Pub starting around 6:30 PM in the side room at the Pub. I will be Italian for part of that day helping to prepare food with my UNICO Brothers and Sisters for the NAMI fundraiser / dinner show at the ITAM (6 PM at $25 per ticket). After my UNICO brothers and sisters serve the meal, I will put on my Irish hat and party at Patrick's Pub.
2. The other event, which the Sister City Committee has booked in, is the Liam Geddes’ Concert at the Barrington Stage on Saturday night February 4, 2012 at 7 PM. The Irish Sister City Committee and St. Joe's Catholic High School are trying to sell out the event because the profits are designated to help defray costs of sending a high school sports team to our Sister City of Ballina, Ireland this summer. People wishing to attend the Concert can reserve or pick up tickets at the Barrington Stage office. The tickets are priced at $20 or $25 per ticket. The Curley's will be attending the event for sure.

Linda and I are hoping that Liam can attend the Curley Super Bowl Party.

Social Calendar -- Therapy at 8 AM, a visit with dad in the nursing home after therapy, some serious studying of my Servsafe manual are the only things on my social calendar.
Linda has her usual Tuesday Mah Jongg session at a friend’s home from 11:30 AM until a little after 4 PM. Our evening is free because we wanted to keep it open for any Liam events that he might involved in. I wanted to crock pot a pork shoulder so I could make some pulled pork sandwiches, but that has been put on hold for the time being.

Politics – Newt and Mitt continue to beat each other up in every form of the media. I appears to be one of those “last man standing” type of battles. Either one who wins the nomination will be so exhausted by the time that the elections take place that our President will still seek and get a second term.

Sports – The blah, blah, blah continues for another week. Both the Giants and Patriots have arrived in Indianapolis. The Patriots arrived first, and they had practice on Monday. The Giants arrived yesterday. This is media week, and neither team wants to make a verbal mistake while answering questions from the media. Tom Brady made a little gaff the other day as the Patriots departed for Indianapolis. There were about 25,000 people in Gillette Stadium having a little pep rally. Tom got to the microphone and said that the semi party that they had at Gillette that day would be even bigger after the Super Bowl. The New York newspapers and media picked up on that statement, and it now is bulletin board material in the Giant’s locker room.

I have the Celtic’s and Bruin’s to keep me entertained this evening in my Man Cave.

Observation – I had to go off to a store the other day, and the parking place that I wanted to get my car into had a cart blocking the parking space. Normally, I wouldn’t consider this a big deal, but the cart return was 10 paces across from where I was trying to park. How lazy can people be? If I had to walk a great distance to one of these cart corrals on a freezing cold day, I might leave the cart next to the parking place. Actually, this is not true, I always am thinking of the next person who wants my parking space, and I would say that I return the cart to the cart corral 99% of the time. Am I anal with respect to this issue, or am I making a “mountain over a mole hill”?

Well, after doing some quiet chores, skimming the local newspaper, I have to select my Therapy wardrobe, pick up dad’s newspaper, and head off to Therapy.
Have a great day at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: