Friday, January 20, 2012

Hello on Friday

Dear Friends,

My Polenta dinner went well last evening. An Irish Sister City friend and her friend joined me at the Italian American Club. Two members of the club sat with us too. We quickly realized that it definitely is a small world. One of the members started chatting with my Irish Sister City female friend, and they soon realized that her brother did all kinds of remodeling in the man's house. This guy said that he and her brother were best friends before the brother's untimely death. Actually both of them got teary eyed while discussing my friend's brother. At one point, the man of Lebanese decent, who has a full blooded Italian wife, thought that my Irish friend and I were married because we were sitting next to one another. The two men at our table are married, but their wives don't like Polenta.
The Polenta and Venison dinner was superb. Besides the Polenta on the plate, there was a whole sausage, and a piece of baked chicken. Some of the people at our table of 5 would have preferred a chicken thigh or leg, but it was pieces of bone in chicken breast. At the end of the meal, one of them made a telephone call to one of the wives to pick them up because they are really against drinking and driving. They purchased a Magnum of a wine called Fortissimo for the table. We drained the bottle by the time that the meal was over.

I can't comment the fun Linda had at her Book Club party because I was in bed by the time she arrived home. I fell asleep after watching the 3rd period of the Bruins game. They were behind by a score of 1 to 0 when the period started. All of a sudden they started skating like Stanley Cup Champions, and routed their opponents.

I was supposed to go off to Patrick's Pub after the Polenta dinner, but it was snowing quite heavily as we left the Italian American Club. I wimped out! The snow almost stopped when I arrived home, and I had thoughts of turning the car around and head toward the Pub. From what I gathered, I was missed at the Pub. Oh Darn!

Social Calendar -- We are going out tonight to attend a dance with a live Band at the Polish Falcon Hall. The Band is a local band called Whiskey City which plays all kinds of music to dance to as well as listen too. I think several friends and the Curley's are going to the Shamrock before heading to the dance.
I think that we might be going back to the Falcon Hall for a Pasta Figioli fundraiser on Saturday night. Do you get the feeling that Linda and I might be joining another ethnic club?

I am leaving the house first today because I have a Therapy session at 8 AM. From there I will head off to see dad in the nursing home, and bring him his favorite newspaper.
I will be taking an afternoon nap for sure because the band tonight doesn't start playing until 9 PM.

Politics -- I can't believe that during the debates, one of the candidates asked Newt about his marriage status / love life. During the day, his ex wife explained on a nationally televised interview why they got divorced. Newt hooked up with a campaign staffer, and when his wife found out he asked his wife if they could have an "open" marriage. His wife said there is the open door, and that he should go right through it. Some of my friends firmly believe that what people do in their love lives shouldn't be an issue, but when Newt tried to come across as a family man, and all kinds of red flags went up. I wonder if all of our friends who have been married for a long time would have understanding wives if we admitted that we were having affairs. I think that Newt's campaign is in trouble.

The Blah, Blah, Blah sports' people are discussing nothing this week but this weekend's conference championships. I don't know who is going to win because on any given Sunday the favored teams can get beat like two of them did this past weekend. I am still betting on the Patriots to be one of the participants in the Super Bowl.

Speaking of football, 6 New York Giant fans rented a small jet, got themselves a hotel room, and tickets for the game. The cost of everything ended up to be $7,000 per person for the weekend in San Francisco. Wouldn't it be nice if I could have been one of the trip goers!

Well, I have to read the local newspaper, and get dressed and head out the door.

Have a great weekend!
Talk to you soon! The Curley Lad

No comments: