Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Hello on Tuesday

Dear Friends,

My visit with my father in the nursing home went well on Monday. He has returned to his semi normal health since they took him off some of the medicines he was on. My sister picked up on the double dose of the same drug, and brought it to the attention of the nurses who dispense drugs.
My wife did remind me that when my father was starting to experience problems that my sister and I should check for drug interactions. Linda firmly believed that the medicines were putting dad into a zombie like state.
He was able to feed himself yesterday which wasn't possible for days. I could carry on a normal conversation with him which I wasn't able to do for a couple of weeks. If any of my blog readers have loved ones in a nursing home, make sure what kind of pills that your loved one are taking. The pills were killing my dad. Oh Darn!

My UNICO meeting at the Italian American Club went well. As I guessed, I have to book in more dates on my social calendar. I have to add two events in March. On Thursday March 15, we have tentative plans for doing a UNICO Celebrity Bartending Fund raiser. UNICO members do the bartending in 45 minute shifts with all tips going to UNICO(for our charities). If you attend the event and purchase food, the owners of the Heritage Tavern in Lenox donate 10 % of the food receipts.
We also have a date for the Annual UNICO Wine & Beer Tasting fundraiser which takes place at Berkshire Hills Country Club. The date is March 30, 2012. The cost is $25 per person. Food will be provided during the event. There is a Chinese raffle with some great prizes, and a 50/50 Raffle. The co-chairs of the event said that they would have tickets at our February membership meeting if not before.

When I skimmed the CNN News on line, nothing jumped out at me. I did see in one small article that some parts of the country will be hitting the $5 per gallon mark for gasoline. This is not good especially if you are looking to fly anywhere. Increase in fuel costs for airplanes will be passed on to all of us in the price of tickets. Oh Darn!

Social Calendar -- It is Tuesday which means Mah Jongg for Linda. She will leave our house a little 11 AM, and I won't see her until after 4 PM.
I have an 8 AM therapy session, and I think that I am coming straight home after the session. We had a dusting of snow last evening, but I don't think that the ice and snow prediction is coming true. The temperatures will be in the 40 degree range which means the predicted precipitation will be mostly rain! Oh Darn!

Supper -- I just set up a beef pot roast Crock Pot Dinner; boneless chuck roast, potatoes, onions, and carrots. I can't wait for supper time.
Neither of us have any evening commitments, but that is not true for the rest of the week.

Sports -- The Celtics lost another game at home. The Boston Bruins won their game in a shoot out.
The Boston Bruins are playing again against a different Florida team this evening so I am happy!

Football -- The Blah, Blah, Blah sports talk people have already started talking about Sunday's Conference playoff games. The Patriots are favored by 7.5 points, but the Giants are underdogs by 2.5 points. I still maintain that the participants of the Superbowl will be the Giants and the Patriots.

Observation -- While at the UNICO meeting last evening, I chatted with one of our new young members. He is actually a survivor of a childhood illness.
I asked him what he does for a living. He said that he was a paraprofessional who deals with children who have severe behavioral problems. He told me that he hates his job. He is going to survive until the end of the school year. He didn't see these behavioral problem students making any positive changes in their lives. He was starting to visualize these high school age children being part of the penal system in no time at all. My friend did say that he likes working with children, but that he has been so frustrated with this group of children. He will be putting out feelers for a new job soon. I did tell him that when I was teaching, our department head created teacher schedules with a mix of kids in classes who could lift your spirits, but that we all had a class or two of students that could drive you crazy. I told this student that I have no desire to return to teaching at all. I wouldn't have the stamina to make it through each day at this point in my life.

I have to read the local newspaper, and put on Therapy clothes.
Have a great day at work or play!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: