Thursday, March 11, 2010

Hello on Thursday Morning

Dear Friends,

Linda and I made it through Wednesday pretty well. Mary Kelly, and Anne Murphy met with a female city councilor and a former female Mayor. No males were there to interrupt the exchange of ideas. Mayor Kelly was really impressed with former Mayor Woitowski. Her basic comment was that she was strong willed, and not afraid to butt heads with the good old boy network which existed when she was a Mayor in Pittsfield. They had lunch at Matt Rielly’s Pub.
When this meeting broke up, Mary Kelly went off to do a little recreational shopping at the T.J. Maxx’s store. Mary is considering loading up a second suitcase with some of these treasurers to take back to Ireland. This is only phase one of her shopping adventures.

Our second Irish guest was picked up at Logan on Wednesday afternoon. She arrived tired, but she is relatively young , and she should be able to keep up with our agenda which President Gormalley has prepared for them.

Our covered dish dinner went well at the Gagnon’s. The people at this affair were not as rowdy as the ones who were present at the Dwyer Party the night before. It was mostly Irish Sister City Members and their significant others, and our two guests from Ireland. After several hours of food, fun, merriment, and singing of some Irish Songs, most of us departed a little after 10 PM. This evening I stayed away from drinking Guinness Beer. You can drink the equivalent to a 2500 calorie meal by drinking a six pack of Guinness. I stuck to light beer and some Jameson Irish Whiskey with a mixer. I think my head hit the pillow around 10:30 PM. Linda stayed up to watch some recorded television programs. I don’t when she went to bed.

Speaking of the Dwyer party, I asked when their party broke up on Tuesday. Several hearty souls lasted until 3 AM. The Dwyer Lad had a Funeral to work on Wednesday morning. He had to be there all dressed up in his funeral director clothes, and appear to be fresh as a daisy at 8 AM. I would bet people who attended the funeral were trying to figure out who the deceased was. He didn’t look that chipper when he walked into the Gagnon party last evening. That didn’t keep him from drinking a few of his favorite Bud Light beers. He also told me that all the food at his party, the empty glasses, and bottles were still sitting on the tables, and on his bar from Tuesday night.
No, I am not going to volunteer to help clean up his place.

Our day starts at 10 AM this morning at the Pittsfield City Hall in the room behind the council chambers. We will be attending a Pittsfield Sister City Commission Meeting which we be run by Commission President Andy Kelly, who is a member of our Pittsfield Irish Sister City Committee.
When the meeting is over, we will be heading to DelGallo’s Bar on Newell Street for lunch. Remo DelGallo was the first Italian Mayor of Pittsfield. For some reason the Irish always gravitate toward Italian friends and food.
After lunch, I am going home to take a nap. I need to charge my batteries so that I can make it through the rest of the afternoon and evening. Some of us will be heading to the ITAM for a Polenta Dinner which starts at 6:30 PM. Our Irish Guests will be heading off to the studios of Pittsfield Community Television around the same time as our Polenta dinner. The Gormalley lad is producing a live television program featuring our guests. If anyone wants to be in the audience at PCT, President Gormalley said that they are welcome.
Does the evening end after our Polenta dinner or after the PCT program? Are you kidding? We are all meeting at the Shamrock Restaurant and Pub around 8:30 PM to finish the day with more fun, and couple of beverages. Some of us baby boomers can’t stay up that late any more. Linda said that she was fighting a cold. I feel great!

I will need a couple more hours to remove the cobwebs from my head. Maybe this evening I will drink ice water instead of any alcoholic beverages. Yeah Right!

I checked on my Whiskey soaked raisins a few minutes ago. I had to taste a couple to see if the Whiskey has permeated the raisins. I already have a buzz on, and it is not even 6 AM.

As you see, we are too busy to even think about Politics, or any of the depressing news we read and hear about each day.

Have a great Thursday.
Life is good! Enjoy it! The Curley Lad

No comments: