Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Hello on Tuesday Morning

Dear Friends,



Our Monday went okay. I did not go with Linda on her day full of errands. I headed off to visit dear old Mom at the nursing home. I spoke to several patients besides my mother. The first stop was to see a friend’s Aunt Mary. When I go by her room, she is normally sleeping, but not yesterday. After chatting with her, I went to Mom’s room. Mom is still without a roommate since hers passed away a couple of weeks ago. Mom does now have the bed next to the window. When the snow melts, I told Mom that I would put a bird feeder in a tree right outside her window. While chatting with Mom, I saw Mrs. Tristany tooling down my mother’s hall in her walker with a physical therapist right behind just in case she needed some assistance.

During the visit with my Mom, lunch arrived. The meal was meatballs and pasta. The dietary aid cut up the meatballs for Mom. Everything was going smoothly until Mom started choking. I hit the call button, and aid came first. When she saw Mom in distress, she went and got the nurse. When the nurse saw what Mom had for lunch, she went ballistic. Mom is waiting for a new set of dentures to be made, and she is supposed to be on a puree type of food, or just a light soup. After the choking stopped, the nurse put a mask on mom with some kind of chemical in it to ease the congestion which she has had in her lungs for months.

After this incident, Mom said she wanted to go back to bed. On the way out of the nursing home, I stopped at the nurse’s station to ask them to put Mom from her wheel back into bed. I ran into my final patient and friend of the day, Mr. DiNicola who I know from the Italian American Club.

I felt like I was a greeter at Walmart on this particular day at the nursing home!



Linda’s day of errands didn’t go as planned. She was at the photo shop in Walmart trying to process some pictures, and the machine died when she was on her last picture. An hour and one half of cropping, getting rid of red eye, etc, was over in a second. The attendant couldn’t retrieve the pictures that she was just ready to print. Linda left the photo shop in tears. Her frustration continued because the items on her list were no where to be found. When she went into the store, she had a handful of coupons, but the items she wanted just weren’t there.

The frustration continued on at the grocery store.



To ease the pain, we went off to Matt Reilly’s Pub for their Monday night fish and chips for supper.



I am ready to head off to the gym. After the workout at Retro Fitness, I am going to load up my car with ice-fishing gear. I am going to commune with nature while Linda goes off and plays Mah Jongg. I just got through packing a healthy lunch. I will be at the bait shop when it opens at 7 AM. I am going off to Pontoosuc Lake, and see if I can catch a record Northern Pike or a Tiger Muskee. At this point just getting a flag will be exciting. The temperatures are supposed to be in the mid 30’s so I am looking forward to a pleasant day.



I am thinking a salad, grilled steak, a baked potato, and a vegetable will be a quick and easy meal for supper.



Have to select my workout clothes, and head out the door.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: