Monday, April 4, 2011

Hello on Monday

Dear Friends,

Linda and I bonded together quite nicely on Sunday. She never left the house, but I did to check on my Dad in Lee. My sister said that she was going to do so, but I figured that she might not be feeling that well with all of her physical problems. My sister sent her husband to check on dad. He brought dad some breakfast from McDonalds.
While my brother-in-law was dealing with dad, I picked up his thrush prescription, and a few grocery items. My father prefers to be waited on which my mother did for 62 out of the 64 years which they have been married. The modern day working housewives are too busy to take care of their husbands like the World War II generation did.

Linda and I watched golf together. She really likes Phil Michelson and his family, and the way he really did do what the marriage vows say about "for better or worse" when his wife and her mother s went through bouts of breast cancer. Phil did play like a champion, and won the tournament in a classy fashion. Linda and I both hope that Phil carries that good ball striking and god play right into the Master's Tournament this coming weekend.

Our friends who own a home in Atlanta actually have tickets to a practice round for the Masters. I wish that I could go with him him and his son. Oh Darn!

Speaking of Sports, my Celtics won their evening contest, but the Red Sox were swept by the Texas Rangers. The Red Sox couldn't get out of town fast enough. They play in Cleveland starting on Tuesday for a three game series before coming home to do battle with the Yankees. If anyone thinks that they can get a ticket for the Yankees series, you are living in a dream world.

While I was getting my dad's prescription at the Rite Aide pharmacy in Lee the other day I ran into two high school class mates of mine one male and one female. They are both very nice people who were born in Lee, and will remain Lee residents until they depart this earth. The female happens to be the girl who I took to the senior prom. She was with a grandchild. At first I didn't recognize her because she has become shorter than when I knew her. We all shrink a little as we age, but my former classmate has become height challenged.

I thought the Curley's are the only ones who have a bed that you have to get a running start to get into bed. Our Atlanta friends were buying some bedroom furniture, and when one of the beds was all set up, both the wife and husband needed a step stool to get into the bed. I am not sured if they resolved the problem yet.

My Time magazine said that the cost of the first 10 days of the military conflict in Libya cost the United States $550 million dollars. Are these dollars well spent?

I saw one of those two person cars while in my travels the other day. These vehicles might save the owner of the car a lot of fuel costs, but if you get into an accident, you better have your funeral arrangements in order. A golf cart on the highways is about as safe as this car. I am not sure if I would call it a car. You also better be single because only two people can fit into the car. The car is so small that you couldn't even put a set of golf clubs in it.

The golf carts reminded me of another story since people use golf carts at the Villages. We had a local friend spend the winter in the Villages in Florida from January through the end of March. She absolutely loved the Villages. She is already booked into next year. She is staying an extra month next year. This woman lost her husband to cancer a year ago. She did admit the first two weeks there were an adjustment. Since she is a social type person it didn't take her long to make a whole bunch of friends.
My sister's best friends didn't fall in love with the Villages and they will be returning to ocean front property in Florida for the winter.

Social Calendar -- We have nothing on our social calendar today. The VNA nurse just called, and she said that she will be here a little after 9 AM. Linda is feeling better, but she needs to work on getting her stamina back. Our social calendar gets busy on Tuesday. Linda will be hosting her Tuseday Mah Jongg session. I will be heading to Lee to take dad to memorial service for a friend of his who died a couple of months ago. I am not sure if there is a reception after the funeral service. I will make dad some food if there is no reception.

A friend wants me to play golf on Wednesday, but if is not golfing weather, I won't be participating. I am a fair weather golfer. The weather channel right now says 45 degrees with a wind. These are not ideal conditions for The Curley Lad.

We are mentally set for supper: A Pork Loin, oven roasted potatoes, and carrots. I am in charge of supper!

Well, I am also psyched for the NCAA mens' finals this evening. Since I am retired, I will stay up for the whole game. I also can watch most of the Boston Bruins Hockey Game before the basketball game broadcast.

Our Tewksbury son sent us a video of his toddler son emptying the cabinet which has all their plastic containers in. The video is so funny. When we baby sit Max, we are going to let him go into a similar cabinet at our house because Linda and I aren't as nimble as we used to be. There is stuff in our cabinet which we haven't used for years. Could our toddler grandson be hired out to do the same for other people who have such cabinets?

Have a great week at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: