Monday, October 10, 2011

Hello on Monday

Dear Friends,

My Sunday went as planned; Retro Fitness at 6 AM, home to shower and skim the Sunday newspapers, visit my dad at Berkshire Medical Center, and then head off to the ITAM to get involved with food preparation for the UNICO's Taste of Italy. There was much work, food, fun, merriment in the kitchen before I eventually sat down with our table of 9. The Curley's, Culver's, Pat Barscz, Jeff Arthur, Anne Gagnon, and the Sturgeon's were at our table. Linda and I had separate cars so I did a few things in the kitchen before I packed up and left the place. I didn't participate in the cleanup because I was pretty exhausted by the end of the event.

I left Linda around 8:30 AM on Sunday, and we didn't talk too much even at or after the meal so I really don't know what she did while I was gone. She was probably enjoying the multiple hours of me not bugging her.

Well, today is the legal Columbus Day, but for all of us Baby Boomers we were taught that October 12 is the real Columbus Day.
October in Massachusetts is Italian Heritage Month. There is a calendar of Italian events which are taking place almost every day of the month throughout the State.

I skimmed the CNN news on line, and the usual turmoil is taking place whether we are celebrating a holiday or not. The only news item that jumped out at me was that a fan threw a hotdog at Tiger Woods as he was attempting a birdie putt. The 31 year old guy layed on the ground and put his body in arrest mode after throwing the hot dog. He was handcuffed by security and taken to jail. Golf is normally a sport where the fans are not so rude.

Politics -- Where has the Tea Party gone? I had a relative who told me to remove her name from my daily blog because she couldn't stand the constant bashing that I was giving the Tea Party. Maybe she will want me to put her back on the blog list.

Continuing on with a sports theme, my New England Patriots beat the New York Jets. I missed most of the game, but I do have it recorded.

Weather -- We have another great day weather wise coming up today, and tomorrow. I have to get my butt off of the couch and winterize the deck. If I don't do so today, I will take care of it tomorrow.

Social Calendar -- My sister and I have a family meeting at 9 AM with my dad and the doctor. My father thinks that he can recover at home. The doctor, and my sister and I will try and convince my father that he has to go to a nursing home setting until he is well enough to function on his own. My sister and I have a bunch of things on both of our social calendars, and we won't even be around the Berkshires as he goes through the healing process. I even told my dad how my next door neighbor's Mom announced to her son that she can't take care of her house alone, and that she wants to sell her house, and go into an assisted living place. I was trying to plant that seed in my father's brain, but he wasn't buying into the idea. Most of the people from my father's generation are going to live and die in their own home. My sister and I don't want him to fall and hurt himself so bad that he might really die in his own home.

Linda created an errand list which she left on the kitchen counter so I know that she will be leaving the house at some point today. Linda is also booked in as a substitute for a third group of friends who are playing Mah Jongg this evening.

I will go off to Retro Fitness after the family meeting, and then I have nothing booked in on my social calendar. I believe that there is an afternoon Boston Bruins hockey game as well as Monday Night football to keep me entertained. I also will watch previously recorded programs.

I was reading my October AARP newsletter and they listed 5 things that we members can do help with the debt in the United States. Some of the items were for us to walk a mile per day which would keep us away from using our health system if we all were in better shape. The one item that jumped out at me was to give financial gifts to our government. So far this year, Americans have sent in more than $2.5 billion dollars as gifts to our government coffers. Just being able to pay our monthly bills is a challenge for most of us retirees. I don't think any of our friends have bought into this gift giving idea.

Well, I have to read the local newspaper, and get dressed for the family meeting at the hospital.
Have a great day!
Talk to you soon. The Curley lad

No comments: