Thursday, October 6, 2011

Hello on Thursday

Dear Friends,

I can't start off this e-mail and say our day went as planned because there was a major bump along the road of life for me on Wednesday. During the process of me giving our lawn a trim by using the riding lawn mower, the riding lawn mower died. When I say it died, it actually exploded, and leaked oil, and came to a complete stop. I called the repair guy, and when he opened the hood of the machine, he showed me that it didn't just die. The motor actually blew up like someone planted a small bomb in the motor. The explosion was so bad that the plastic housing that covers the motor was cracked too. Before he loaded the machine on his trailer, he read off some serial numbers and gave them to a person who he called on his cell phone. To replace the motor on the machine would cost a $1000. Well, the Curley's don't have that much money tucked away for an emergency. The lawn mower was purchased on August 12, 2006 which is past the warrantee period of two years. A riding lawn mower should last more than five years if properly maintained which is what I always do with any machine or device that we own.

On a happier note, the political fundraiser for a friend who is trying to get re-elected for his Ward Councilor seat went very well. The main floor was packed at the Italian American Club. I ended up sitting downstairs in the members' bar area where they had overflow tables set up. The family style roast beef dinner with all the fixings went very well. Both mayoral candidates attended the function as well as current candidates running for other offices. My friend was overwhelmed by the support that he witnessed last night. It was a political lovefest!

Linda had fun with her knitting group while I was at the fundraiser. I really didn't talk to her because I was watching television in bed when she arrived home.

Linda's car got an oil change, a new sticker, and a leak repaired from the oil plug area. I have been taking her car to Walmart for an oil change because it is convenient, but I am not taking it there anymore. Sometimes saving a buck or two at Walmart isn't worth the money.

Speaking of big box stores, Linda and I picked up our BJ's Warehouse Club photo I.D. cards yesterday. Our brand new BJ's will be opening soon, and they had a deal for the Pittsfield store. The cost was $40 for a 15 month membership. Normally the cost is $50 for a 12 month membership. With only two of us in our home now, we can at least go in and taste all the samples on days when the store does have their "Sample Days". It is like having lunch for free. The nearest BJ's are in the Albany, New York area, or the Springfield, Massachusetts area. Either of these two locations place are an hour away. The Pittsfield BJ's is two miles from our home in the Home Depot, WalMart, Staples, Five Below, Michael's store, and a Price Chopper grocery store complex.

I see where the Apple Computer, IPod, Ipad, etc., guy passed away. Even when he made presentations for his latest devices, he looked really sick. Steve Jobs was a remarkable man with a remarkable legacy. I hope that he had some great years enjoying life before he passed away.

I met several of my former students at the fundraiser last night. One in particular, I haven't seen in a while. She has been married for a year, and she is the oldest daughter of Johnson Ford Dealership family which has been in business in Pittsfield for generations. Her younger brother, whom I also had in class, works in the family business too. I asked about her dad, and asked if her dad is ready to retire. She said that he doesn't have any hobbies, and that he wouldn't do well in retirement. Some people should never retire because working is the only thing that keeps them alive.
Well, you know that Linda and I enjoy every single moment of retirement. You also know that we have trouble finding a free day on our social calendar.

As an example, when we picked up Linda's Kia yesterday at H & S Auto, the owner, who is chairperson of the Taste of Italy event on Sunday, asked if I and my high school friend who is a neighbor and member of UNICO, were going to help out with the food preparation on Sunday. I was just planning on attending the event, but not working it. For the past few years, Linda and I were visiting our military son in whatever State he was stationed at. This year we are home on Columbus Day weekend waiting for our son to get out of Afghanistan, and to also let him spend some time with his family before we visit them in Southern Georgia. Well, my friend and I will be in the kitchen at 10 AM on Sunday morning.

Speaking of kitchens, we now are the owners of an apple peeling devices that I liked, and Linda purchased on QVC. I just tried it today when I woke up.
It works as demonstrated. If we have a free day next week, the Curley Lad will be making an Apple Crisp. I have to pick up some Vanilla Ice cream to put on the hot Apple Crisp. There goes the diet!
We could have used this apple peeler a few days ago when my UNICO brothers and Sisters made a couple of huge trays of Apple Crisp for the Ad-Lib Dinner. Some coring devices came with the apple peeler too.

It is a balmy 35 degrees out right now on the North side of or house. I would bet some low lying areas have frost. I am supposed to play golf this morning with a couple of buddies, but they won't let golfers on the course unless the frost is gone.

I still have the Lawnmower problem to deal with. I am going to give the Simplicity Lawn Mower Company and call, and see if they could help out with replacing a new motor.

I did go to Retro Fitness on Thursday, but I tried the 9 AM hour instead of the 11:30 AM hour. There are more females at Retro at the 9 AM hour. This is not necessarily a good thing from my perspective. I have a certain routine, and I don't like to get into any prolonged conversation with anyone. Well, three female friends were side by side on treadmills, and they talked for thirty straight minutes. Luckily on was on a treadmill far enough away that I couldn't overhear their conversation. I might have to go back to my 4:30 AM time at the gym. On the other hand, it is usually the darkest and coldest part of the day when winter does arrive.

Are the protesters out front of those financial institutions making any noise so that these companies will change their policies and the way that they do business? I am guessing not!

Well, I have to do some quiet activities, and decide whether to go to the gym first, and then golf or do things the other way around. I still have a ton of yard work to do.
We have abundant sunshine forecasted for several days, and I should do my yard work in the next couple of days.

Have a great day at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: