Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Hello on Wednesday Morning

Dear Friends,

My friends and I never did play golf on Tuesday. The morning frost delayed our tee time for two hours. We all agreed that teeing off at 12:30 PM would cut into our afternoon activities so we canceled our tee time.

> Linda had a fun time at her Tuesday MahJongg session. I never did ask her if she won many games.

While she was doing her thing, I removed the frost killed flowers in the planters on the deck. I also threw out some semi dead flowers in pots on the deck which would have died last night since we had a frost for a second night.

The wake went as well as could be expected. Many of us early goers were let in the doors before the actual starting time. I happened to pay my respects, and exited the funeral home at 4 PM. One of my golfing buddies was in line right behind me which was totally unplanned.
Every time I go to a wake, I become more and more convinced that I don't want my family to have a wake for me. I used to believe that "wakes are for the living', but I no longer agree to that philosophy. A short prayer service at graveside, and a party for the living after the interment is the best way to approach the death of a loved one. My parents have already expressed this to my sister and I, and we will respect their wishes when the time comes.

On a happier note, Linda and I did go off to the Pub, a couple of miles from our house, for some food, fun, and merriment. Yes, our 6 Irish Guests from our sister city located in Ballina, Ireland were at the Pub. The evening ended early for our guests, and the Curley's. Our guests were taken back to the various places where they were staying because they were exhausted. When Linda and I left around 10:15 PM, the body clocks of our Irish guests were telling them that it was 3:15 AM.

The guests have a full day ahead of them starting with an interview on a local radio station, a visit with the students at St. Joe, a mayoral reception at city hall, golf at Donnybrook C.C. which is a golf course owned by the dad of one of our Irish Sister City Memebers, and finally open mic at a place called Dreamaway Lodge tucked into the mountains of Berkshire County.

Linda and I will not be able to participate in many of Wednesday's activities since I am running a luncheon meeting of that organization which I had mentioned in previous e-mails called REAM (Retired Educators Association of Massachusetts) of Berkshire County.

Politics -- Linda taped the debate while we were at the Pub. She watched it while I went off to bed. I was tired from the manual labor in the first half of the day, and from the couple glasses of beverages which I consumed at the Pub. I hope that you thought that your candidate did a great job.

Well, have a great day at work or play. We are into some great fall weather once we get past the morning coolness.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: