Friday, October 31, 2008

Hello on Friday Morning

ends,

Well, today is Halloween. I only know one friend who was born on this day. This
mild mannered guy taught in the math department with me. No, he never seemed to
be possessed by evil spirits.

We will not only have hundreds (close to 200) of children "Trick or Treating"
in our neighborhood from 5:30 PM until 7 PM, but we also have canned goods set
aside for a food drive for a local agency which is trying to restock their food
pantry. The Post Office even has a food drive tomorrow.

I am trying to decide whether I should wear a costume this evening as I pass
out treats. I do like to scare those little goblins, or least see if I can get a
response when the appear at our front door.

We are also fortunate to have a friend with us who will be helping us pass out
candy. She lives in a neighboring town on a dead end street that has only one
or two Trick or Treaters.She misses seeing all the kids in their various
costumes.

I did go to Lee yesterday to visit with my parents. For all the times which I
have been there, I never noticed a little container of Holy Water which is
attached to a wall as you come in from their garage. I decided that I need to
bless myself as I enter and leave their house.

I hope that our parents appreciate that my sister (more than me) and I keep a
watchful eye on my parents.
Yes, I realize that we are not the only siblings who act as caretakers for
their aging parents. We have a friend who is leaving this morning to take his
parents to their home in Florida. When I say "taking", he is driving his parents
in their family car from Massachusetts to the Jupiter Beach, Florida area. They
are stopping in Atlanta to stay overnight with my friend's son and his wife (who
is due to have a baby in mid November). You might be thinking: "Why aren't the
parents flying to Florida?". One parent has some back issues, and really doesn't
like flying.

Linda and her friend had fun time at the Comedy show last evening. She said
that I would have really enjoyed the show. There were a lot of ladies from
different Red Hat groups at the show as well as some men. Our Irish Sister City
President was there with his wife.

I resorted to watching a professional soccer game on ESPN last night. I watched
the New England Revolution team played against an opponent from Chicago. The
game ended up with a score of 0 - 0. Like a sports announcer said on radio one
time: "Soccer is like watching paint dry." This is coming from a person (me)
who used to referee soccer at the youth, high school, and college level.

Linda was right, I should have gone with her to the comedy show.

While watching the game last evening, I received a telephone call from the
Lenox (a town five miles south of Pittsfield) Police Department. The officer
said that he was looking for "Linda Curley". I knew that Linda was at the Comedy
Show in Pittsfield. I asked the officer what was the call in reference to. He
said that the security alarm was going off in The Purple Plume store in Lenox
where Linda worked this summer for her friend. Linda's name must have been on a
contact list at the Lenox Police Department. The officer said that he tried
contacting the owner, but he wasn't successful. I didn't know what to do. I
called Judie (the owner) on her cell phone, which she didn't answer, and left a
message about the alarm going off. I hope that she received my message, and
dealt with the situation.

It is difficult to believe that we are going from 26 degrees right now to the
50's by the end of the day. We are going into a warm up that goes well into next
week even though the nights might be cool. I put away my golf clubs for the
season, but I can get at them very easily.

Politics -- I am tired of all the ads on television, the lawn signs, the mud
slinging, the promises from the candidates. I would vote today if I could.

Well, I have some other e-mails to send. They might be a bit shorter than this
one. My writings at least keeps my mind active.

Have a great weekend, and don't eat too much of the left over Trick or Treat
candy. Linda has to hide it from me for sure.
Linda actually took some candy away from which my mother gave to me the other
day. It was the type of candy that could pull the fillings from my teeth. I
guess I am getting close to gumming my food.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: