Thursday, August 5, 2010

Hello on Thursday Morning

Dear Friends,

Wednesday was a lazy, hot, and humid day that sapped the energy right out of any human being who had intentions of working outside. I did not accomplish all that I set out to do except for some UNICO Golf Tournament stuff with a friend.
Our job didn’t sound like a difficult one when we accepted to do it, but it does drive you crazy at times. We are the people in charge of getting sponsor signs on the tees and greens throughout the 18 holes of the course. If a sponsor is a big donor, we have to get plaques, and banners as well as the signs. Just when you think that we have everything all set someone turns in a new sponsor, and back to the printer we go. The printer set a time line, but that date is kind of meaningless. How can we stick to it when people are donating money?
We are also in charge of the “Goodie Bags” that are given to each golfer which will include a golf jacket, golf towels, plastic mugs, etc.
Oops! I almost forgot the volunteer workers for the tournament also get shirts.
My friend and I are in charge of getting the golfer jackets, and worker shirts.

I think that I am the only one socially engaged this evening. I am working a Pasta dinner at the Italian American Club. They are serving from 6 to 7:30 PM for a Babe Ruth Baseball team which is moving from winning the State Championship to the Regionals. UNICO was asked to do the food preparation for the fund raiser.
I also have to pick up the Irish Bangers for the Ethnic Fair this Sunday. I will stop and see mom first since the nursing home is a couple miles from the place where I order my bangers.


I am not sure what Linda has planned for the day. I hope whatever it is takes place where they have central air conditioning.

Well, my Wednesday blog sure stirred up the conversation with respect to Unions. For those people who don’t see any value in unions, and who also think that they do a great job at whatever they do, wait until you get notice that you have been terminated. The unions at least give you some recourse for management to explain why you have been terminated. In a union shop, you get a right to hearing, and management has to show cause for the termination.
If there were no teacher unions, and management was looking to cut costs, they could just get rid of veteran teachers. Getting rid of 10 teachers at the top of the pay scale who are paid $60,000 per year could save $300,000 if you hire 10 new teachers whose starting pay is $30,000.

My Sox lost another game, and they had one of their best pitchers on the mound. Oh Darn!

I see where the Celtic’s picked up the veteran basketball player, Shaq O’neal. $33 million for two years is a bit excessive in my mind because over the last few years he has missed 30 or 40 games due to injuries. He makes more money than the quarterback for the Patriots. Tom Brady gets beat up every weekend on the football field during the regular season, and into the playoffs.

Well, I have to do some quiet activities.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: