Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Hello on Tuesday Morning

Dear Friends,

Our Tuesday had a few bumps along the road for both Linda and me.
Linda drives to Hadley, which is about an hour from our home. The end table that they had reserved for her wasn’t like the one we purchased locally. Oh Darn!
Also, on the drive to Hadley, Linda heard a pop, and the air conditioning died in her 1996 Neon. Is this a sign that we might have to consider replacing the vehicle?

At the golf tournament, things were going well until the assistant pro comes to our food preparation tent around 1:30 PM, and says that a severe storm is heading toward the golf course. An hour after he tells us about the severe storm, the assistant pro blows the warning horn, and shuts down the tournament and the golf course in general.
The storm rolls in as predicted. A pole from the large tent where golfers were eating snaps due to the violence of the storm. All the golfers headed to the wrap around deck of the clubhouse, but the rains drove them inside. My friend and I decided to stay under my 10 foot by 10 foot canopy as the thunder, lightening, and rain comes down with hurricane force winds. My friend held one side of the canopy while I scrambled to keep rolls, napkins, paper towels, salt and pepper shakers, etc., from getting wet. I lost my battle. Luckily, I had the extra rolls in a rubber maid bucket as well as a few in the back of my car. It was also fortunate that I had two of everything because I purchased the items at a grocery store which had a buy one get one free sale.
Oops! I almost forgot that we did have a helper who dealt with cooking and serving the corn on the cob. He was the smart one of the three of us, and he went to his car as the rain fell. We did have to restart my turkey fryer which we were using to cook the corn. The rain knocked out the burner on the turkey fryer device too.
The rain was coming down so hard, and at an angle that my friend and I were soaked from head to foot. One of the golfers brought us a couple of towels from the locker room. We had to fire up the gas grill again because the rain blew out the burners. As the rain let up and eventually stopped, the golfers who hadn’t eaten returned to the food tent for their food. Some of the golfers went out to finish the few holes which they had left, but there was a lot of standing water on the course. Most golfers ate, and went home.

I was so exhausted when I arrived home that I went to bed early. After about a five hour sleeping period, I woke up, and couldn’t get back to sleep. Oh Darn!

Linda had a book club meeting at 6 PM on Monday night. I was sound asleep when she arrived home a little after 10 PM.

Social Calendar – I am off to the golf course at 8:25 AM. Our foursome became a twosome, but that is okay because were playing only 9 holes.
I have a 1 PM meeting to go to, and then I am coming home to give the lawn a trim.
Linda is giving up her Tuesday Mah Jongg session to do lunch with a couple of girlfriends who are not among the usual suspects.

The painters did do some work yesterday, and they are returning to finish up what they started.

Observation – If anyone was thinking that the golf tournament should have been postponed knowing that severe weather was going to happen at some point during the afternoon, well it couldn’t unless the severe weather was at the start of the tournament. Most golf courses in our area host all kinds of tournaments throughout the summer like the UNICO one last Wednesday. The members often feel that there are too many tournaments which interrupt when they want to play golf. Unless an all day rain is forecasted, and actually takes place is about the only time that a tournament will be postponed.
Most of my golfing buddies won’t play in the rain or in cold weather. I do have a couple of friends who will play in any kind of weather, but I am not among that group.

Have a great Tuesday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: