Monday, December 27, 2010

Hello on Monday morning

Dear Friends,

Our Sunday went very well. We left North Tewksbury around 10 AM hoping to beat the snow storm. The ride home was on dry pavement for most of the journey. There was a lot of cars on the Mass Turnpike going both east and west, and there were occasional slow downs, but all in all it was a smooth ride.

We unpacked the car when we arrived home, freshened up, and headed to see our Dalton friends. We went there in particular to see their son and his family who flew in from Atlanta. Their daughter, Noelle, is still afraid of me. I haven’t felt the warmth there since she was born. She has mellowed a little, but she keeps her distance from me. Of course, she gravitates toward Linda, and they were working on coloring books, draw pictures together, and she would let Linda read books to her. I was in their family room alone at one point, and she came in the room. When she saw me, she bolted back into the living room where all the women were hanging out.
The Dalton family has a 6 PM flight out of Logan today. I am not sure if it is going to happen today.
Kevin is supposed to open his restaurant in East Boston, but our Governor has told all State and municipal workers (except for the people who plow the roads) to stay home today. Boston and surrounding communities are all shut down. Newark Airport, and LaGuardia Airport are shut down as of this moment.

Linda and I have a crock pot Beef Stew brewing as I type this e-mail. I sliced and diced everything before I went to bed. Linda put in all the spices, etc., and started the Beef Stew before we went to bed.
I do have a physical therapy appointment at noon today, and I think that is the only thing on our social calendar.

I just set up and had my first cup of coffee in our new Keurig Coffee maker. Our sons and their families split the cost of the device, and gave it to us as a Christmas Present. I have used similar devices at the homes of families and friends so the set up was easy.
Linda also got me another gift which I absolutely love. My Food Saver Seal a Meal device, which I own already, was starting to get tired. We bought my Food Saver when they first came out on the market. She bought me the updated version of the device which can do so much more than my older one can do. I can even seal soft foods like cookies without crushing them. Yes, I know that some of you are thinking that: “Why does a retired couple with no children at home need such a device?” As an example, I can purchase a whole pork loin, and cut it up into three sections, and seal each piece, and put them in our freezer. When there is a sale on meats, I can purchase several of the sale items and seal them. Cheese is another food item that seals well. If we purchase a large hunk of cheese, and use a small portion, I can seal the rest. I have never had to throw out a piece of moldy cheese.

The weather guy said that the snow in the Berkshires will stop around noon, and the skies should clear. It is snowing pretty hard right now. While we were in Dalton yesterday, there was much, food, fun and merriment. When we left the gathering last evening, Linda decided to drive the car on the snow covered roads. Her Kia worked so well in the snow. She locked in the four wheel drive, and drove like she was Queen of the road. If she had to drive her Neon, she probably would have never left our friend’s home.
By the end of the week, the temperatures will rise to low 40’s.

Max will be staying with us later on this week. The dogs, Billy and Frankie Beans, will be vacationing in the Berkshires too.

Sports – I hope that your favorite football team won their game on Sunday. The Patriots did their thing, and they just keep on winning.
The Jets, who most of us Patriot fans detest, lose their game, but still make it to the playoffs.

Well, I have to finish my morning routine. When the snow stops, I will fire up the snow blower. My plow guy will do my driveway, but I will do the sidewalks, and make paths to my birdfeeders.

Have a great day at work or play.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: