Thursday, December 16, 2010

Hello on Thursday

Dear Friends,

Another day went as planned. Linda did have a chance to do a little shopping before going off to her Book Club Dinner at Il Trattoria. She said her friends raved about the food, but Linda thought what she ordered was “Okay”, but not great.

My UNICO brothers worked very hard to prepare, and put out Pizza, baked Chicken nuggets, and “make your own Sundays” for the Big Brothers and Big Sisters organization. Of course, they thanked us profusely for putting out a great product. A couple from the Italian American Club dressed up as Santa and Mrs Claus.

Speaking of the Italian American Club, the 36 year old son of an Italian Club member collapsed and died. The parents are flying up from their winter home in Florida to deal with their loss.
It is so sad that the death occurred during the Christmas season. Don’t I always say that “Life is a crapshoot”, and to enjoy life every moment that you are on this earth, and don’t sweat the little things. The deceased has a brother who frequently purchases food from our son’ restaurant in East Boston. The obituary is in today’s local newspaper. There will be no wake and funeral, but there will be a memorial service at a later date.

Social Calendar – I believe that I am the only one with commitments today. Linda said that she would accompany me to my doctor’s appointment at 11 AM. I have a feeling that I will be getting an MRI done on my leg that has been giving me trouble. Oh Joy! Note – Linda brought her Kindle with her for my eye appointment the other day, and she will take it again today.
The temperature will be rising to the middle 20’s when I and three UNICO brothers do our 3 to 5 PM bell ringing shift at Walmart today. I am going to dig out my hunting boots that are guaranteed for temperatures reaching 20 below zero. Snow showers will be falling throughout the day.

Sports – I fell asleep last night as a last minute shot by a Celtic player ended up being the winning basket. The Bruins weren’t so lucky.

Game wardens in New York State arrested several people in a deer hunting sting. The hunters were using lights attached to their rifles, hunting at night time, and they killed as many deer as they could shoot. When you shine a light on a deer, they stand perfectly still which makes them easy targets. The game wardens confiscated the illegally obtained deer, and all the rifles of the hunters caught in the sting. These hunters usually lose their hunting licenses, and are fined heavily. I wonder how many years that they have been doing this illegal hunting?

It looks like the New York Jets’ conditioning coach might lose his job which is beyond the fine a four game suspension for tripping an opposing player as he ran by the Jets’ bench.

Politics – The Tax compromise bill is moving through Congress. I am really hoping that they can reach an agreement. A compromise doesn’t necessarily mean that each side gets exactly what they want when the bill is passed.

Observation – I have been finding people a little less grumpy during the Holiday season. I wonder if they could make that attitude last for a longer potion of the year.

On a different note, some of my UNICO brothers and sisters who help out with Bell ringing at Walmart have noticed that the Walmart customers who are dressed the best, and often carry out large ticket items, walk right by the Salvation Army kettle. The poorest of the poor happen to be the most generous.

Have to go and finish my morning routine. I also have to replenish my bird feeders. The creatures have been ravenous. A big fat bunny enjoys the sun flower seeds which hit the ground. They do their eating when it is dark. Yesterday, the squirrels had jumped into my suction cup bird feeder attached to the kitchen window. The squirrels will eventually knock this feeder onto the deck because they are too heavy. Oh Darn!

Have a great Thursday.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: