Thursday, December 23, 2010

Hello on Thursday

Dear Friends,

It is so difficult to believe that 64 year ago today that I came into this world. Even though bearing me wasn’t easy for my mother since I was a breach baby (butt first), and almost killed my mother during child birth, I think that I turned out okay.
I have so much to be thankful for since I found a wonderful woman to marry and have a family with. Our two sons then found their perfect mates, and are now carrying on the Curley tradition.
Besides a few aches and pains that Linda and I wake up with every day; “Life is Good!”

I was the first one to leave the house on Wednesday. I did a few errands while Linda was doing her morning routine.

She did have a successful body maintenance procedure done at noon. I decided to take a quick nap while she was going through her hour long procedure.

When she arrived home, I loaded up the car with gifts, and we both went off to deliver them. Our first stop was to the nursing home. Mom was in her bed resting when we arrived. I didn’t think that she looked that good. My sister had told me that certain medications will make her look that way.
We were hoping to see my dad during the visit. I called dad, and he was home in Lee suffering what seemed to be a bad cold.
He said that he will be having Christmas Day Dinner at the nursing home with Mom. My sister did invite him to come to her house on Christmas Day to have some dessert. He told me that he would see how he feels before making the trip from the nursing home to Pittsfield.

Our exit strategy is to depart Pittsfield no later than 10 AM today, earlier if I had my choice. When you have been married long enough, “Yes dear” is a key phrase to a happy marriage.

We had an unplanned date night last evening. Linda went off to be with her knitting group, but only Linda and a one other woman showed up. They decided to pack up their knitting and go home!
This woman is a teacher at Taconic, and she was there as I retired in June of 2004. She said that the kids in Pittsfield have a half day of school today, but the teachers have workshops for the other half of the day. Yes, I remember those teacher workshop days, and I don’t miss them at all.

It is so early, and I can’t make any noise until the Queen wakes up. The Kia will look like we are traveling sales people as we exit the house today. The car will be so full of stuff that we won’t have any room in the car except for the driver and one passenger. I might even need our soft luggage car top carrier. Just kidding!

Politics – I see where the Lame Duck Congress has been making some very good progress during these last few days before they have their Christmas Recess. Comprise is taking place at such a very rapid pace. President Obama is starting to look real good as our leader which is what the Republicans don’t want to hear as they gain control of Congress in January of 2011.

Christmas – This will be a real change for Linda and me this year. We have always been home for Christmas whether we have one or both of our sons home with us. We have already told at least two families that we won’t be at their house for Christmas Eve.
On the other hand, we are looking forward to spending Christmas Eve, and Christmas Day at our son’s home. We weren’t asked to bring or make anything. Our daughter-in-law said that she has that all covered. We are going to bring a Beef Tenderloin, and Linda and I have offered to make Christmas Day dinner.

Speaking of food, we ended up at Applebees last evening for supper. We ate from the two for $20 menu. Linda had the 7 ounce steak, and I had a healthy oriental salad, but with a large serving of Blue Cheeses since they ran out of the oriental dressing (which we couldn’t believe.)

Observation – We did notice that all of the wait staff was all dressed in blue jeans and an Applebees’ Shirt. We didn’t like how they were dressed. Sometimes it was difficult to tell the difference between the staff and the customers. Our immediate thoughts were that what the wait staff was wearing was very unprofessional. Of course, this goes back to the manager of the place allowing this loose dress code.
Another thing that we don’t like at Applebees is the person who takes your order doesn’t bring the food. The appetizers are delivered by a different person too. Linda asked for some steak sauce. She had to wait for a long time because all the people in the restaurant were sharing one bottle of A-1 Sauce. After the bottle did make it to our table, a waitress came over in about 2 seconds and took it away so that another person could use it for their steak.
What we observed, and what we were ticked off with is exactly why the Pittsfield School Committee is trying to do through contract negotiations. The Committee wants to set up a Dress Code for teachers as a bargaining tool. You would think that a person who made it through high school, college, and securing a Masters’ Degree would know how to dress properly, but there is no guarantee that this is the case. I still see people going to wakes and funerals in blue jeans. Some times the pall bearers will be walking along side of the casket in blue Jeans too.
My dentist said that he was asked to attend a wedding for one of his former employees. He dresses up in wearing a sport coat and a tie. He sees guests at the wedding wearing tee shirts. There is not one baby boomer that I know of who would attend a wedding in a tee shirt. I always go back to the saying that; “You act the way you dress!”

Have a super Christmas and a Happy New Year’s.
I hope that all of you have family and friends to share the day with no matter what religion or God which you believe in.
If you do feel the warmth during this Holiday season, hold on to it for as long as you can.
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: