Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Hello on Tuesday Morning

Dear Friends,

I was totally useless on Monday with respect to helping Linda. She hauled gifts from an upstairs spare bedroom down two flights of stairs into the basement. She made multiple trips on her not so great knees, and by the end of the night she was PUP as the professional football expression goes (Physically Unable to Perform).
My hobbling around and staying off of my feet for most of the day on Monday actually helped out. I am almost pain free as this day starts. I guess the seven plus hour day on my feet on Sunday caused my leg problems on Monday. Right now, I feel as though I could carry our grandson up and down stairs. Yesterday, I could just about make it up and down stairs on my own.
At one point yesterday, I did leave the house with Linda and acted as her designated driver as she went in and out of stores for small gifts, gift certificates, Dunkin Donut Coffee deal (four pounds for $20), etc.
I had to use the restroom at Dunkin Donuts. I bounced off the walls to and from the restroom. A nimble guy in his early 70’s saw me limping out of the bathroom, and asked if I needed help. He thought that I was intoxicated because I was holding on, and bouncing off of the walls. I said that I was okay, but the guy didn’t believe me. I didn’t want to tell him that I am turning 64 years old on this Thursday, and that I am still a kid as far as my age goes.

My friend picked me up for our UNICO Dinner meeting at the Old Forge. As predicted, we had a better than normal turn out, and the food was spectacular.

I am going to try and stay off my feet today. I will be wrapping presents in the basement for most of the day. She labeled each gift that I am going to wrap. I will be doing the wrapping while sitting in a chair.

I do have to stop wrapping for a little while and go to an 11 AM doctor’s appointment. This is a planned appointment set up months ago with a dermatologist. The dermatologist will be checking out of various spots on my body which have developed over time. I want to make sure that none of these spots are of a cancerous nature.

I did get a call from the neurologist’s office on Monday, which is part two before I get my droopy eye problem fixed. I am booked in for an appointment after Christmas.
I am booked in for my first physical therapy session for my knee after Christmas which is part two before the arthroscopic surgery for the torn meniscus.

Pretty soon all my body parts will be working as they are supposed to work so that I can continue to enjoy retirement.

Linda is booked in for her normal Tuesday Mah Jongg session. I think that neither of us our socially engaged this evening for a change.
Supper might be fish and chips dinner for two at Matt Rielly’s Pub for their Tuesday night special.

Observation – People seem to be spending money like they have money trees in their backyards. People aren’t just purchasing small items. As we age, we should need less and less. I keep on thinking about what our children will have to deal with when we depart this earth. I think of the stuff in my parent’s house in Lee. Most of it will be put in a dumpster. Our children would do the same thing with all the stuff which we have accumulated over the years too. As the saying goes; “You can’t take it with you!”
Maybe when the time comes, our children will sell our house; ”As is” including the contents.

Well, I think that I will head off to the basement, and begin the wrapping.
I will squeeze in a short break to read the local newspaper when it arrives.

Have a great Tuesday!
Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: