Sunday, December 19, 2010

Hello on Sunday Morning

Dear Friends,



Can you believe that another day went as planned, and even got better as the day and evening progressed?



Once again, I left our house first. I went directly to visit Mom in the nursing home in Lenox. When I walked in the room, my friend, who I used to go to tailgate with at the Patriot games, was with his wife visiting his mom, who just happens to be my mother’s roommate. This couple lives an hour away from Pittsfield, but they visit every Saturday.



While visiting my Mom, I replenished some pictures of our three grandchildren.



After a short visit, I headed off to Lee to visit my father. He seemed to be in good spirits. He was just about getting ready to get my mother a cup of coffee, and bring it to her in the nursing home.



When I arrived home, I saw that the Kia was still in the garage, but the house was totally quiet. Linda’s girlfriend from Dalton talked her into using some Macy’s coupons at our Berkshire Mall. This was a perfect opportunity for me to take a one hour nap which is what I did. Linda came home just as the sun was setting. She asked me if I went to the Scotch Tasting at George’s Liquor Store, and I said “No!” She asked if I wanted to take a chance, and see if the tasting was still going on. Well, we timed it perfectly. We were the first ones at the Single Malt Scotch Tasting event. We had samples of 12, 15, and 19 year old Scotches (two varieties). Linda, who is not normally a Scotch drinker, participated in the tasting. After about 45 minutes of tasting, and chatting with all kinds of people who we saw in the liquor store, we had a semi buzz on as we left. I always keep some crackers in the car just in case to absorb some of the alcohol which we consumed. Linda could become a high end Scotch drinker.

We always have Scotch in out house, but they tend to be the cheap end blends like Old Smugglers, or Dewars. The blends are the ones which you would mix with club soda and / or water. The ones which we consumed should be consumed in the “Neat” fashion.



Speaking of friends, we saw our neighbor who just moved from Winesap the other day. Two weeks ago, he put his own “For Sale” sign in his front yard (he saved a couple of thousand by selling it himself). A young couple (with one small child), who lives one street over, was taking a walk, and inquired about the house. The young couple closes on the Winesap house in March. My former neighbor has already moved into his $499,000 dollar home. In the Boston area, the price would cost at least $300,000 more than what he paid.

He said that his new house was in immaculate shape. It is in what you would call, the “Walk right in shape.” There was nothing that our neighbor has to paint, change, fix, etc. in his new house. He and his family are all set to have a wonderful Christmas and New Year’s in their new home.



After the Scotch Tasting, we started to get a little hungry. We had a refrigerator full of coupons for various restaurants. I suggested that we head to Lee, and go to the Salmon Run Restaurant. As we were entering the restaurant, my sister and a couple, who they socialize with, were just exiting the restaurant. My sister said that the Prime Rib was excellent.

The restaurant’s specialty is fish, but they have a slow roasted Prime Rib on the menu on Saturday nights. I also went on line before we went to the Restaurant, and found out that they have a half off coupon with a maximum value of $12 off on the second meal. We both ordered a queen cut Prime Rib that was cooked to perfection, and with all the fixings. The Prime Rib, which I know that my health conscious friend will make a comment about, was cooked exactly the way that we wanted it. It was prepared and tasted better than places which specialize in meat entrĂ©es.



When we arrived home, I decided to watch the last couple periods of the Boston Bruins’ Hockey game. Since I did so in bed, I just about made it to the end of the game before I fell asleep. The Bruins were victorious.



As I said in yesterday’s e-mail, we have a very full day today. I am leaving the house first. There is a Memorial Mass for the brother of one of our Irish Sister City Committee members. His brother died in Ireland several months ago. His Mom lives in Pittsfield, but they have family in Ireland. His brother was buried in Ireland. I will be representing the Curley family at the 9 AM Mass.

After Mass, a few friends will beheading off to Patrick’s Pub, to set up for the Fundraiser for the Irish friend whose two year old son was diagnosed with leukemia. This fundraiser, which goes from noon until 6 PM, will be the fourth stop of the all the parties which we will be attending today.



We decided on the times for which we will be attending the other parties. We will be at the Italian American Club at 11:45 AM at the latest. This noon time event will have at least 300 members at the event. Our plan is to stay and eat, and socialize for at least one hour, and head off to the ITAM a little after 1 PM. We will be meeting two other couples who are members of the ITAM, but not members at the Italian American Club. After eating and socializing for an hour there, Linda and I and one of the other couples for sure will be heading off to the Berkshire Hills Country Club for a members party too. This one starts at 3 PM. After an hour of eating and socializing, Linda and I will then head off to Patrick’s Pub for the Fundraiser mentioned above. The organizers of this fundraiser have secured so many gifts and silent auction items that we have to make it there before the raffle takes place around 5 PM.



I would like the party portion of the day to end no later than 6:30 PM so that I can go home and take a one hour nap. I want to be able to go into my Man Cave, while in my sleepwear, and watch the 8:30 PM Sunday Night football game which features the Patriots playing the Green Bay Packers in Gillette Stadium. Go Patriots!



Linda continues to love, and learn how to use her new cell phone. When she masters her cell phone, I most likely will upgrade my cell phone, but that won’t take place for a couple of months.



Well, I am trying to figure out if I can make it through this very busy Sunday. No, I am not planning on skipping any of the above mentioned parties. I just have to pace myself for I know that this Sunday will turn out to be a long, but pleasant day.



It is 10 degrees out right now but we should reach the 30 degree plus mark before this day is over.



While we were out and about yesterday, we kept on getting comments about our pictures being on the front page of the Berkshire Eagle on Friday morning. Everyone in the City of Pittsfield and in surrounding towns now knows that I love birds since I was holding a bird feeder when the Eagle photographer took the picture. We will most likely receive a whole bunch of comments today while at Mass and while attending the four parties.



Have a great Sunday!

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: