Monday, December 6, 2010

Hello on Monday

Dear Friends,



It is not even 4 AM when I began to compose this e-mail. I hope that you don’t think that I am crazy. There is a method to this madness. When Max goes down for a nap whether it is a morning, and afternoon one or both, I will be taking a nap too. As long as I get my afternoon nap, I will be extremely happy. I have to stay awake for the “Big Game” which takes place tonight on Monday night football. My Patriots do battle with their rivals, the New York Jets. The winner will be leading their division since they are both going into the game with identical 9 and 2 records.



My drive home went very smoothly until the last 30 minutes of the trip from North Tewksbury. I put on a CD of James Throughgood, and within 35 minutes Max was out like a light. This was just about the time that we left Route 495 south, and got on the Massachusetts Turnpike heading west to the Berkshires. As we go to the highest point on the Mass Pike, Max woke up from his nap. I gave him some cheerios which lasted for a while, but at this point I had to do some magic so that I could make the last leg of the journey, and still keep my sanity. I thought that he would be impressed by the snow flurries, but it had no calming effect.



I called Grandma Linda as I went through the toll booth in Lee. She greeted us as I arrived at our home in Pittsfield.



Linda did a pretty good job of childproofing the house for a toddler. If there was an item that should have been put away or put higher, Max found it. He liked going around the house exploring, and finding new things to touch.



Linda fed Max a hearty lunch before we went off to the Children’s Christ Party at the ITAM. Max once again liked to wander around in these new surroundings, and watch other children interact with their parents and grandparents. Each child got a goodie bag, a juice drink, and container of ice cream. Santa arrived about 45 minutes into the party, and then passed out presents to all of the children.



Linda’s goal was to keep me and Max awake so that he would go to sleep good and tired. Well we did get good and tired shopping at Target, and at one those grocery stores which had one of those “buy one get two free items” on specified things.



Max had another hearty meal for supper in the Berkshires. I put Max to bed at 7:30 PM without a whimper. I fell asleep during Sunday night football.

Speaking of meals, we have enough Max food in the refrigerator and freezer so that he could last several weeks here in the Berkshires.



This is my time right now. I am wide awake, and enjoying the first of two cups of coffee before Max wakes up.

Max is going to wake up to a snow coated world here in the Berkshires. The snow is like white frosting on a cake.



Linda and I decided that we are going to crock pot our way through the week that Max will be with us. I have a Beef Stroganoff brewing in the crock pot right now. I am using a McCormick’s spice packet designed for Beef Stroganoff. You add sour cream after the beef, onions, and mushrooms are done (cooking the mixture for 10 more minutes) after slow cooking it for 8 hours. Linda will whip up some noodles, and then you pour the beef concoction over the noodles.



As I came home from North Tewksbury, my high school friend and neighbor was putting up his Christmas lights. I couldn’t believe that he was out there in 29 degree weather with a wind blowing. I am so glad that I have a tendency to do things like decorating early. His efforts were worth it because we drove down the street when it was dark, and his lights that he put out were very nice.

Max got a chance to see our front decorations, and the ones on our deck. Of course, he wanted to go out and touch the mechanical deer, and the lighted figurines on the deck.





I guess that I didn’t miss much these past few days not watching, and listening to the news. It is the same old, same old. One headline that did jump out at me was that a father and stepmother from Alabama are accused of killing their two children. I can’t believe the number of stories each day which involve children. I don’t understand how adults can kill their children. Even though our grandchildren need a lot of attention, and even when they are driving us crazy, Linda and I just want to give them hugs.



Speaking of chasing around grandchildren, a grandmother, who sat next to us, got on the floor to take a picture of herr grandchildren, and she couldn’t get up off the floor. She saw me laughing as her husband helped her up. I had to explain to the lady that I know the feeling. When Linda and I took Max to dance and music lessons in Tewksbury, all the parents sit on the dance floor for a portion of the 45 minute class. Linda and I knew that getting off the floor would be a challenge so the instructor gave us chairs to sit on during class.



It was so nice to sleep in my own bed last night. There is no place like home.



Linda told me that the other Herman (our Optometrist’s son and high school friend of Kevin) twin got engaged over the past few weeks.



Well, I have to send a couple more e-mails, and make out some Christmas cards before Max starts stirring.



Have a great week at work or play.

Talk to you soon. The Curley Lad

No comments: